Why do we sometimes just not like someone, for no reason?

We don't not like people for no reason. There are always reasons, but we may not be able to put a finger on them. In these cases, I believe our minds are working on it, but they haven't made the reasons reach our conscious minds.

It could be forms of prejudice that we've either learned through life, or perhaps were born into us in some way. It could be that they remind us of past negative experiences. In fact, that is probably a big part of it. It's a form of PTSD. Like a dog might scare you, and you don't remember that you were bitten by a dog of similar size and coloring when you were five y

We don't not like people for no reason. There are always reasons, but we may not be able to put a finger on them. In these cases, I believe our minds are working on it, but they haven't made the reasons reach our conscious minds.

It could be forms of prejudice that we've either learned through life, or perhaps were born into us in some way. It could be that they remind us of past negative experiences. In fact, that is probably a big part of it. It's a form of PTSD. Like a dog might scare you, and you don't remember that you were bitten by a dog of similar size and coloring when you were five years old. Your brain might remember.

It could be the sound of something or the smell of something. It could be pheromones. There are many sensory inputs that can trigger memories and instinctive responses that are based on real events that have long been forgotten.

I'm sure there's a reason why you don't like a person and the enmity seems inexplicable. But that reason is buried deep in your subconscious brain.

its just a feeling when we dislike or like someone but when we dont like someone its also that feeling where we have no reason we just no 1 thing we dont like this ever..and we like this fore ever and last thin we never like this without reason actually they have the quality which we dont like them but we just unlike them we just know the fact why we dont like whats the things in him or she or habits which we dislike them ,,,,,

One reason I think is because, they remind us of someone we don't like. May be it's the name, the face, the smile, way of talking; something about them subconsciously or sometimes consciously reminds of us a person we don't like. < Generally someone in the past or some fictional character >

I’m not a professional, but have been through a significant shift in how I react to people over the last 10–15 years.

There are endless possible answers, the question really is what do you want to or intend to do about it?

Some people just resonate with us naturally, others rub us the wrong way. There’s a whole range of responses, from immediate love to immediate antipathy. The big question is what you want to do about it, and what impact it might or might not have on your life.

If it’s a situation where you have to decide whether to trust someone and need to decide quickly, go with your gut. My

I’m not a professional, but have been through a significant shift in how I react to people over the last 10–15 years.

There are endless possible answers, the question really is what do you want to or intend to do about it?

Some people just resonate with us naturally, others rub us the wrong way. There’s a whole range of responses, from immediate love to immediate antipathy. The big question is what you want to do about it, and what impact it might or might not have on your life.

If it’s a situation where you have to decide whether to trust someone and need to decide quickly, go with your gut. My gut reaction is very rarely wrong when it comes to trustworthiness, although I’ve sometimes judged people unfairly in terms of life direction, substance/flakiness, etc. But if you get a bad feeling and you need to decide whether to trust the person or not, go with your feeling.

On the other hand, if there aren’t dire consequences, or if you’re likely to encounter the person in social or work situations over a longer period of time, it’s worth taking a look at where the feeling of dislike comes from.

I used to be a judgmental asshole (now I’m often just an asshole, without the judgment ;-) and a lot of it had to do with my own shit. The more of whatever I didn’t like about myself I saw reflected in someone else, the more intensely I disliked them.

Three things happened to change that:

• Through a variety of circumstances, including recognizing and accepting some addictive behavior, I came to realize that my shit stank just like everyone else’s did, and that it was OK, even if not alright. Everyone has shit.
  • Once I could accept that I had shit just like everyone else and that shit was OK, I didn’t react to it so much when I saw it in others.
  • I came to realize that 99% of people are just doing the best they can, given their experiences, abilities, and the baggage they carry. There are a very few people who consciously choose evil; everyone else is just coping as best they can. Even when someone seems like an asshole (or actually is one), there are likely things that explain how they got that way. Not that those things are an excuse, but there’s a place where their actions make sense to them.

If you have time and there aren’t dire consequences (or if it’d be good to be able to get along with the person), try talking with them, asking them about their life, what it was like as a kid, how they came to do what they’re doing for a living, etc, etc.

I realize that none of that answers your original question though. The short answers to that are:

• They actually are jerks or assholes, and your gut is entirely correct about them
  • They exhibit some behavior or personality trait that you don’t like in yourself, or push your insecurity buttons
  • You’re missing something essential about their inner motivations

Hope that helps!

You must be young - only a younger person really has that kind of mindset, thinking they have to like everything. Often that's because how they are raised, and sometimes it is because it pleases people. Whether or not you are a younger person, you have the right to like or dislike anything you want. And since you already do, just know that it's perfectly fine. You have a right to choose what person or thing you prefer. It doesn't make the thing/person you don't like bad, just means that you have a preference for one over another.

And it's not about your state of mind, it's about your cho

You must be young - only a younger person really has that kind of mindset, thinking they have to like everything. Often that's because how they are raised, and sometimes it is because it pleases people. Whether or not you are a younger person, you have the right to like or dislike anything you want. And since you already do, just know that it's perfectly fine. You have a right to choose what person or thing you prefer. It doesn't make the thing/person you don't like bad, just means that you have a preference for one over another.

And it's not about your state of mind, it's about your choice. I don't like beer, never have - and you can imagine that most people think I'm crazy. I also don't like sushi, spicy food, rap music, going to bars, tv shows like Survivor or Big Brother, I really don't like Duck Dynasty, or the color brown, loud music, loud people, and comedy movies like Knocked Up, Anchorman, Austin Powers, Zoolander, or movies that have stupid comedy, like what Jim Carrey and Sasha Baron Cohen make to mention just two.

What I like makes me who I am - I love Star Trek, the new franchise - and not Star Wars, I love smart movies and a few off-beat comedies and some art films. I love Blues music, and R&B, Bluegrass, Jazz, Easy listening. And I like meat in a time when there's hordes of vegetarians out there. I like old world tech, like talking to people instead of sending a thousand emails or texts. And surprisingly, none of my friends use texting, so I don't do it. I've loved reading mystery/crime novels since I was old enough to read - started with Nancy Drew, to Agatha Christie, to the funniest writer I've every known in the genre, Janet Evanovich.

So, what I am saying here is that what you like forms you, it makes you who you are - and you don't have to like anything else just because of a perception. You can make your own choices. What you''ll find over time is that it is draining to try and like everything and everybody. So you take your favorites and keep them, the rest you can lay aside.

I have been having this issue with a housemate i have never felt such a strong feeling of resistance and distaste of another person in my life and i couldn’t seem to put my finger on why..On the outside she was a seemingly nice person which made me feel even worse about it.

I was giving up so much energy having such negative, angry thoughts towards this person and in turn feeling guilty of thinking that way. It took away a lot of energy being fake nice on the outside but blowing up on the inside which left me feeling inauthentic. This led me to look into myself about this, so i did a lot intros

I have been having this issue with a housemate i have never felt such a strong feeling of resistance and distaste of another person in my life and i couldn’t seem to put my finger on why..On the outside she was a seemingly nice person which made me feel even worse about it.

I was giving up so much energy having such negative, angry thoughts towards this person and in turn feeling guilty of thinking that way. It took away a lot of energy being fake nice on the outside but blowing up on the inside which left me feeling inauthentic. This led me to look into myself about this, so i did a lot introspection to how i felt towards her and what i had judged her on. I judged her on being a people pleaser, being lazy, and having a downright negative view on life and a painful lack of confidence and worth..

So i came up with a couple of conclusions, i found that all these things i had listed were the things that i didn’t want to be in a person they were the exact opposite of who i wanted to be. It was coming out of fear of being that person that i had started to attack her for it..But then she started to tell me how other people had treated her in the past and it was exactly how i was treating her in my head… This lead to question do we put out a vibe or give other people permission subconsciously to walk all over us and put us down? I think so. We let in what we think we deserve. If we don’t respect and accept ourselves who the hell will? Its up to us to set the bar on how we would like to get treated.

I believe that this was where our two separate realities and beliefs clashed. My own negative beliefs and expectations about myself and her and her own beliefs about herself giving me the permission to do so making herself into the victim once again.

I think its important to acknowledge and be aware of the negative thoughts you are holding towards another person and look into your own beliefs and take responsibility of how we feel and react, but not feel guilty about it, we are all humans we all have judgments.

Sometimes we have feelings that are hard to name or understand. Feelings are different than thoughts that way. They sometimes come from a part of the brain called the amygdala that registers awareness of memories before your conscious brain even gets around to thinking about this person.

It could be that you had a negative association with something about this person that is inconsequential. For instance, I remember meeting a friend’s friend once; his face was pleasant and I was prepared to meet someone who was very nice according to a good friend. But when he said “Hi, I’ve heard all about you

Sometimes we have feelings that are hard to name or understand. Feelings are different than thoughts that way. They sometimes come from a part of the brain called the amygdala that registers awareness of memories before your conscious brain even gets around to thinking about this person.

It could be that you had a negative association with something about this person that is inconsequential. For instance, I remember meeting a friend’s friend once; his face was pleasant and I was prepared to meet someone who was very nice according to a good friend. But when he said “Hi, I’ve heard all about you”, I suddenly froze.

I didn’t know it at the time, but it turned out that he was from Finland. But to my (at the time untrained ear), I made a quick misjudgement and panic swept through my body.

I managed to regain my composure, but after a while I managed to make the connection: his accent had reminded me of when I was a small child and would watch a cartoon called “Rocky and Bullwinkle”. In this cartoon there was a very evil Russian spy named “Boris Badinov” (pronounced Boris Bad-enough, get it?)

In the end we all thought this was very funny, and I was a little horrified at my knee-jerk, anti-communist Yankee reaction that I never knew was lurking in my liberal California soul. But the negative reaction I experienced felt very real until I managed to decode what my thinking was and realized that the actual danger was nothing like I perceived it to be as a 3 year old child.

Chances are, since you report the many admirable qualities this person has, that somewhere in your brain you have made a connection with some memory that has led you to feel caution of some sort. You can try to tease out the name of the emotion or the reason for it, but as you interact with this person, these initial perceptions may be “overwritten” by the positive nature of getting to know her. In the end, what you have experienced is most likely very normal and a very valuable lesson on the nature of some first impressions, and how easy it is to be wrong about people before you get to know them.

First let me say that not everybody clicks. Of course there are people who annoy you for no tangible reason. That being said, there is likely to be an unconscious reason for your dislike of a particular person. Frequently, the better you feel about yourself, the less that person bothers you.

That person may demonstrate qualities that you can’t stand in yourself. For example, they kiss ass, and it doesn’t seem to bother them to do it. When you kiss ass, you may feel it takes a decade off your life—but you still do it when necessary. You can’t stand that quality in yourself.

Another possibility is

First let me say that not everybody clicks. Of course there are people who annoy you for no tangible reason. That being said, there is likely to be an unconscious reason for your dislike of a particular person. Frequently, the better you feel about yourself, the less that person bothers you.

That person may demonstrate qualities that you can’t stand in yourself. For example, they kiss ass, and it doesn’t seem to bother them to do it. When you kiss ass, you may feel it takes a decade off your life—but you still do it when necessary. You can’t stand that quality in yourself.

Another possibility is that you don’t feel safe with them. You listen to them trash other people— maybe you even join in— but you get the feeling that when you’re not there, you are the one being trashed.

If the person just makes you feel icky— with an icky kind of kindness, you might experience it as a burden. Look to your past. Think about the feeling this person gives you, and ask yourself if you have ever had this feeling about anyone else before. What does it remind you of? Who else exhibited this type of kindness—saying they love you and expecting your soul in return—but the expectation is spoken as love, not as a psychological demand?

Keep away from them if you can, but figuring out what it is, if you want to, is a worthy expenditure of an hour. Trying to get over it is not. Just let yourself feel your feelings. You don’t have to act on them, but you can’t just shove them somewhere.

Everyone no matter how well loved has at least one person or ten that dislike them. There is of course a reason, people usually don't do things without reason do they? It might not be a good enough reason but rest assured that there is a reason.

In high school I was friends with this girl that became friends with this other girl that was one grade above us. I was always nice to her when she would come by our class to say hello to my friend but I noticed that she was always very curt with me and didn't make much of an effort to interact. One day my friend mentioned that her friend really didn’t

Everyone no matter how well loved has at least one person or ten that dislike them. There is of course a reason, people usually don't do things without reason do they? It might not be a good enough reason but rest assured that there is a reason.

In high school I was friends with this girl that became friends with this other girl that was one grade above us. I was always nice to her when she would come by our class to say hello to my friend but I noticed that she was always very curt with me and didn't make much of an effort to interact. One day my friend mentioned that her friend really didn’t like me much and she couldn't understand why. When asked the reason her friends response was:

I don't know, I just don't like her. I feel as if she's stuck up”

I was confused since I was always nice to her when I'd see her and I had no idea that she felt that way about me. That was my first conscience experience with someone that did not like me but certainly not my last. Some people just don't like you but don't worry too much about it, not everyone has to.

Here are some reasons that people usually dislike others :

1. You have something that they don't have but want.
  2. You are good looking.
  3. They're insecure.
  4. You are confident.
  5. They feel intimated by you.
  6. They are jealous.
  7. They feel like you don't deserve the things that you have.

Or you could just be really annoying to someone and they dislike your personality. Either way, I wouldn’t worry too much about it :)

It’s an interesting question. The answer is quite simple. Like how some people are born with inbuilt talent(singing,dancing, etc. ),similarly some people are born with some negative vibe which without any effort is successful in moving some(not all) people away from them. The negative vibe here is not from you but from the other person unbiased(the person you hate).In cases when you do not fully know the person also,you just avoid any conversation or any initiative to go further in it because you do not get a positive vibe in the first place.
Take for example,you see someone walking down the

It’s an interesting question. The answer is quite simple. Like how some people are born with inbuilt talent(singing,dancing, etc. ),similarly some people are born with some negative vibe which without any effort is successful in moving some(not all) people away from them. The negative vibe here is not from you but from the other person unbiased(the person you hate).In cases when you do not fully know the person also,you just avoid any conversation or any initiative to go further in it because you do not get a positive vibe in the first place.
Take for example,you see someone walking down the street,if he/she doesn’t have a good pleasant smile,isn’t that enough for you to not even look at the person again? That’s how it works. It just doesn’t happen and you do not want the relationship to happen and hence the avoidance. So there is nothing to worry or think a lot about this. You just avoid such people in your life and live your life ahead. Anyhow their existence does not matter in your life(you are already hating them) so never think why does this happen. It is quite natural.
Interestingly, the people you hate would not be hated by others(maybe your close friends too) but that does not mean you have to start liking the person for whatsoever reasons. It is your choice and always hold your head high about the decisions you take in life.
The good news for people who are hated by others is that no one is born in this world to impress everyone.You live only once and be happy and content with whoever you get to spend it with :)

I once hated an acquaintance of mine, and I barely knew him from John Doe.

He was a friend of a friend, and on the surface he seemed amicable enough, and an interesting person, funny, endearing, helpful. But I saw something beneath the cracks of his personality that I couldn't put my finger on. I just didn't like him, I couldn't explain it.

I imagined secretly that I had excellent people perception, that there was something wrong about the man under his social mask. Something I was dimly aware of that other’s were not.

He was a thief, he beat his girlfriend, he was a closet Neo-Nazi… or something

I once hated an acquaintance of mine, and I barely knew him from John Doe.

He was a friend of a friend, and on the surface he seemed amicable enough, and an interesting person, funny, endearing, helpful. But I saw something beneath the cracks of his personality that I couldn't put my finger on. I just didn't like him, I couldn't explain it.

I imagined secretly that I had excellent people perception, that there was something wrong about the man under his social mask. Something I was dimly aware of that other’s were not.

He was a thief, he beat his girlfriend, he was a closet Neo-Nazi… or something. But no, and yes.

I got to know him a little better and I learned more about him. He was a prodigious flirt, he had to be the centre of attention, he could be loud and obnoxious, he was a sore loser, he had an abrasive sense of humour. None of these things would ordinarily make me hate a person, the difference was that these things I saw in myself. I saw my own lacks reflected in him.

We see most, the faults of others that we ourselves possess. We get very good at detecting them early on in others, they are often the very first thing we see when meeting someone new. A fault - one that is really our own.

With practice, this can be used not as a way to judge strangers, but as a mirror to enable us to improve ourselves.

There's one theory that when you meet someone and instantly like or dislike them, they may be reminding you of someone you previously had that reaction to (transference).
There is also a thought that you might be picking up something in your sensory processing that is not on a conscious level. Some people can smell snow. Some people report being able to smell something "off" in a dangerous person. When I was much much younger I had a huge crush on a guy. He invited me over and I happened to catch the scent of his hair. I instantly thought, "I wonder what brimstone smells like." I have no i

There's one theory that when you meet someone and instantly like or dislike them, they may be reminding you of someone you previously had that reaction to (transference).
There is also a thought that you might be picking up something in your sensory processing that is not on a conscious level. Some people can smell snow. Some people report being able to smell something "off" in a dangerous person. When I was much much younger I had a huge crush on a guy. He invited me over and I happened to catch the scent of his hair. I instantly thought, "I wonder what brimstone smells like." I have no idea where that thought came from, but something did not smell right. He turned out to be a very abusive manipulator.
A psychiatrist once told me that what we think of as "trusting our gut" is actually a part of the brain that compiles and sorts through experiences very quickly, thereby giving us a "feeling" that may be quite smart.
Note- these are two opposing possibilities. You might dislike someone for something that has nothing to do with them or you might dislike someone because you have subconsciously noted something that will be a problem.