Why do we not think properly when emotions get involved? (Wouldn't logic overpower emotion?)?

From introspection, observing people I know well, and lots of reading, its is clear that any experience that evokes a strong reaction, fear, anger, anxiety, anticipation, or affection floods the brain with that emotion's associated mix of neurotransmitters which modify the connections between neurons. Some links become more sensitive, other links are weakened. The result is the brain thinks in a somewhat different pattern. When my favorite boss at my last company was upset, his voice acquired a distinct catch or inflection which was a warning--tread carefully.

Such modification of the neuron

From introspection, observing people I know well, and lots of reading, its is clear that any experience that evokes a strong reaction, fear, anger, anxiety, anticipation, or affection floods the brain with that emotion's associated mix of neurotransmitters which modify the connections between neurons. Some links become more sensitive, other links are weakened. The result is the brain thinks in a somewhat different pattern. When my favorite boss at my last company was upset, his voice acquired a distinct catch or inflection which was a warning--tread carefully.

Such modification of the neuronal network can result in better performance such as focusing more acutely OR poorer performance--we get rattled. Not all mental changes are bad. In any case, some strong emotions shift the attention away from the usual pattern causing reason and logic to be forgotten. One writer said that love causes a systematic suspension of our powers of discrimination.

My guess is: Emotions are more powerful than logic because emotions are older, more basic. The human intellect has existed for less than a million years. A more primitive deductive logic has existed for perhaps a few million years.

Emotions and instincts have been around for hundreds of millions of years. They kept are primitive ancestors alive for millions of generations. They still exist - and they are still powerful - because their purpose is to keep the creature alive.

The intellect is a recent add-on, not a fundamental thing. The intellect feels powerful to us because thoughts dominate ou

My guess is: Emotions are more powerful than logic because emotions are older, more basic. The human intellect has existed for less than a million years. A more primitive deductive logic has existed for perhaps a few million years.

Emotions and instincts have been around for hundreds of millions of years. They kept are primitive ancestors alive for millions of generations. They still exist - and they are still powerful - because their purpose is to keep the creature alive.

The intellect is a recent add-on, not a fundamental thing. The intellect feels powerful to us because thoughts dominate our subjective experience. This is deceptive. When it comes to making decisions, the intellect is less powerful than it thinks it is. We make most of our decisions based on emotions. The intellect then RATIONALIZES our actions and fools itself (and us) into believing that it was the intellect's decisions.

Logic is a science of reasoning. It is based on reason and sound ideas — in other words, thinking with mathematical precision and removed from emotion. How can you think without intelligence?Scientific thoughts & deductions come from logical reasoning. Even subjective matters, even without finding proof can use logical reasoning.

Whereas "Emotion" is product of mind. Any sort of mental reaction, subjectively experienced like that of anger, fear anxiety etc., with respect to specific object & resulting in physiological & behavioral changes in the body constitutes an emotional experience.

Please r

Logic is a science of reasoning. It is based on reason and sound ideas — in other words, thinking with mathematical precision and removed from emotion. How can you think without intelligence?Scientific thoughts & deductions come from logical reasoning. Even subjective matters, even without finding proof can use logical reasoning.

Whereas "Emotion" is product of mind. Any sort of mental reaction, subjectively experienced like that of anger, fear anxiety etc., with respect to specific object & resulting in physiological & behavioral changes in the body constitutes an emotional experience.

Please read further.

Logical reasoning is the main ingredient of intelligence. If your level of intelligence is low, how can your reasoning improve?

A simple example of logical reasoning is to find out who committed theft of gold chain in a jewellery shop.

Your intelligence comes through CCTV disclosure & evidence of who were all at the spot of theft & who will be the possible culprit?. Your logical reasoning comes from adding up the intelligence of CCTV Camera combined with evidence of people who were present at the desk at stipulated time to arrive at & get idea who would have stolen the gold chain.

It is only the mind which is required to catch the culprit & emotion has no place here. The very intention of logic is to arrive at truth, through investigation.

The most important factor is that it does not speak of psychology of reasoning, belief or imagination, but to present the correctness of the fact.

A logic has definite end result without contradictions. It can be either true or false, but nothing in between two or both of them.

The very aim of logic is to provide platform for investigation of true or false. A media of "Mind" is required to reflect one's logical reasoning.

Emotion is display of mind in different situations. An emotion is a feeling of mind in as far as happiness, love, fear, anger, hatred, anxiety etc take part freely in different situations, as opposed to thoughts.

The fundamental aspect of emotion is that when we experience fear, anger etc., they motivate us to act quickly to take actions to maximize chances of success or the very survival.

Emotion is just an instinctive feeling & does not wait for intelligence to come to the rescue. Feelings may or may not have any logical reasoning. If it goes with reasoning, you are saved otherwise nobody can come to your rescue.

Mind can work with both emotion & logical reasoning, but it is always preferred not to overlook logical reasoning. If you want to benefit from logical thinking, it is always preferable to keep negative emotions aside & use intelligence in it's place.

Our feelings & emotions are our own making in the given situation. We cannot blame others for our own making. People live in their own way, but it is for us to control our emotions. There are many ways to control our mind with regard to emotions. Some of them are by forming good habits, thinking positively & applying necessary corrections in our attitude & behavior. If we become too sensitive & get excited even for silly things, we will be the victims of our own emotions. All emotions cannot be handled in a single way, but by understanding & differentiating different situations.

When you walk in the lawn, a thorn will pierce your foot causing pain & strain. What will you do,except removing the thorn & relaxing for the pain to subside & reduce strain on your mind & then you will start walking again.

Similarly, if you get anger at any situation, do not react quickly, wait for the tension to diffuse & then react with intelligence & not on emotional outburst. If you cannot control your emotions, you are at your own mercy & nobody can come to your rescue. If any right thinking person, who wants to help you will become speechless & refrain from talking to you, why he may even mistake you, even if you are right.

Can you visualize the difference between forceful waterfalls & a majestically flowing river?An angry man jumps into the pit, without knowing the consequences. For a cool & contemplating man, his mind flows majestically like a river.

CONCLUSIONS:-

Never allow your emotions to overtake your logical reasoning.

"With the blessings of Saptha Rishies & Amighty".

Emotions have the ability to easily cloud your decisions, thoughts,and actions.On a survival level emotions are extremely important in helping us make quick lightning speed decisions that could also be potentially life saving such as in a flight or fight situation ,but on a logical,decision making,day to day encounters and business the people who let emotions affect then less are able to think soley based on the situation at hand because emotions like I said before can easily cloud your judgement and disrupt logic.

Some professions who favor less emotional people are,

Doctors-This job is very fa

Emotions have the ability to easily cloud your decisions, thoughts,and actions.On a survival level emotions are extremely important in helping us make quick lightning speed decisions that could also be potentially life saving such as in a flight or fight situation ,but on a logical,decision making,day to day encounters and business the people who let emotions affect then less are able to think soley based on the situation at hand because emotions like I said before can easily cloud your judgement and disrupt logic.

Some professions who favor less emotional people are,

Doctors-This job is very fast paced job you have to quickly assess and help someone at a moment's notice and be ready to combat life threatening situations and if surgery is needed at anytime to save someone's life you have to be prepared.Always.People who are more calm headed can Handle the stress of this job but more emotional people,not as much.

Firemen-Obviously they have to always be prepared because..a fire can be started anywhere at any time,and thier actions from the first response and foot on the pedal until thier feet on the ground determines if a life is risked or saved. You definitely got to be able think quick with this job…phew.

Attorneys-You might not have like how that guy viciously robbed that old woman,your mad but your still their defendant ,and you have to try to at least you know….defend them lol.You never know they might be innocent but when you overwhelmed with emotions your quick to make a decision,and this job requires a passive nuetral mindset.

Here's a quick example :

Doctor-It’s your first day on the job and your stitting and talking to your mom telling how much you love your new job and your just…calm.Suddenly your informed of a young male who was shot multiple times,he is bleeding out and is in need of immediate surgery or he'll die. In this situation a cool liked mind is extremely needed during surgery otherwise you'll have Shakey hands here messing up some organs

Emotions are perfectly fine,express them,but try not to let them overwhelm you.You overwhelm them.

Emotions are completely logical from an evolutionary perspective and often aided survival in the unforgiving environment of ancient humans. It’s actually a quite useful and profitable system. Consider how advantageous these emotions would be to our ancestors living 5,000 years ago:

Lust overcoming logic would result in more children, while love would develop more stable relationships. Both of these traits would allow DNA would spread to an exponentially larger amount of people after enough time.

Conviction overcoming logic would result in more loyalty to your tribe, thus allowing your children t

Emotions are completely logical from an evolutionary perspective and often aided survival in the unforgiving environment of ancient humans. It’s actually a quite useful and profitable system. Consider how advantageous these emotions would be to our ancestors living 5,000 years ago:

Lust overcoming logic would result in more children, while love would develop more stable relationships. Both of these traits would allow DNA would spread to an exponentially larger amount of people after enough time.

Conviction overcoming logic would result in more loyalty to your tribe, thus allowing your children to grow up and have have their own kids in a much safer and interconnected group.

Hate overcoming logic would compel humans to kill or subjugate their enemies. Blind rage removes those that have a tendency to be against those of your DNA and environmental upbringing, thus taking away non-advantageous competition from you and your descendants.

Grief compels you to do anything to protect those you love. Again, increased survival of those like you.

Fear makes you wary of the unknown, and as such, better equips you in the case that they are hostile. Humans who feared the unknown had a much better chance of survival than those who flippantly walked around creepy forests and random villages.

So in the end, the seemingly negative traits of lust, blind conviction, hate, grief and fear helped your ancestors survive. Having extreme emotions was once a good thing! And since these days of ole, we certainly haven’t changed much.

The old mammalian brain was prior to the neo- cortex; the modern part of the fore-brain that deals with language, reason and rationality. At this earlier level of response we are emotionally at a level little different from our mammalian fellow creatures. Even prior to the older mammalian part of the brain is the reptilian brain. This is probably where the fight or flight response resides and so called primitive instincts and primitive reflexes. This earlier part is connected to the nerves of the spinal column and thence the body at large. All these modalities function in every human being ali

The old mammalian brain was prior to the neo- cortex; the modern part of the fore-brain that deals with language, reason and rationality. At this earlier level of response we are emotionally at a level little different from our mammalian fellow creatures. Even prior to the older mammalian part of the brain is the reptilian brain. This is probably where the fight or flight response resides and so called primitive instincts and primitive reflexes. This earlier part is connected to the nerves of the spinal column and thence the body at large. All these modalities function in every human being alive today.

Language and rationality are late comers in terms of our evolutionary development.

Just as animals seek out affordances that benefit their wellbeing and consciously avoid negative affordances, all without the benefit of language (but still with the capacity to communicate), so we still respond to almost all affects emotionally. We call such evaluative responses aesthetic, for things; affordances we admire or are attracted toward, and negative emotional affordances those we responses to that we reject or try to avoid as being distasteful or deleterious to our wellbeing.
Much of our lives are passed in reminiscing, dreaming, fantasising and responding to that which we like or dislike. These affects range from delighting in the odour of a rose, enjoying a meal, becoming annoyed because of a perceived slight to our person, through to abject terror in the face of an uncontrollable situation and one in which we react with fear.

Our dispositions are shaped by genetics, genealogical heritable characteristics and the process of learning a language and the beliefs and values of our given cultures. We respond idiosyncratically to all these factors and while some dispositions are inherent they may or may not form part of our character depending on the innumerable variables that make up a single human life. Our responses, whether rational or reasonable are always based on like or dislike prior to any rational evaluation of a situation we may believe we have made independent of affect.

Thinking -- true thinking -- is difficult and purely logical. It requires concentration and clarity of mind. You problem solve by examining all the facts and drawing logical conclusions.

So called "emotional thinking" is a actually a response based on the values you hold. What offends you makes you angry, and what you agree with makes you happy.

If I am hungry and see a hot pizza, I desire it because I know it tastes good.That is an emotional response. If I apply logical thinking, I need to question the nutritional value of eating it and the possible negative effects of consuming too many. If

Thinking -- true thinking -- is difficult and purely logical. It requires concentration and clarity of mind. You problem solve by examining all the facts and drawing logical conclusions.

So called "emotional thinking" is a actually a response based on the values you hold. What offends you makes you angry, and what you agree with makes you happy.

If I am hungry and see a hot pizza, I desire it because I know it tastes good.That is an emotional response. If I apply logical thinking, I need to question the nutritional value of eating it and the possible negative effects of consuming too many. If I conclude that the pizza is not good for me, I will reject it. I don't have to think about it too many times because I have already made my conclusion that pizza is not an appropriate meal.

Our conflicts come when emotional responses differ from the values derived from logical thinking. Inevitably, purely emotional responses can have disasterous consequences. A good looking woman may visually stimulate me, and a romantic encounter can be a pleasurable thing, but, as a married man, my reason tells me not to act in contradiction to my moral values.

The notion that humans are just rational is an anachronism that I don’t think even Enlightenment philosophers held.

Emotion and logic are both part of the human experience. Emotion and logic are both like wings that humans use to fly and experience life.

Its about recognizing desire and using desire in positive ways. Its about leveraging empathy and compassion in positive ways. Its about living with a higher purpose. Its about seeing life beyond a spread sheet or beyond bean counting. Humans are beyond calculation.

When one looks at psychology and literature and even philosophy you find that the

The notion that humans are just rational is an anachronism that I don’t think even Enlightenment philosophers held.

Emotion and logic are both part of the human experience. Emotion and logic are both like wings that humans use to fly and experience life.

Its about recognizing desire and using desire in positive ways. Its about leveraging empathy and compassion in positive ways. Its about living with a higher purpose. Its about seeing life beyond a spread sheet or beyond bean counting. Humans are beyond calculation.

When one looks at psychology and literature and even philosophy you find that the subjective aspect of humanity is critically important.

Not to mention understanding people at that ever so personal level—rather than the 10,000 foot view of rationality is incredibly helpful.

The value of kindness, empathy, and compassion—as well as understanding, appreciation, and love is all important to understanding the human experience and human history.

And while the Romantics, who were after the Enlightenment period, missed parts of the human experience, its worth noting that that Enlightenment and the Romantic period go together in the sense that they both got things right about the human experience and got things wrong.

In our brain, Logical thinking and analysis are controlled by conscious mind whereas emotions are controlled by subconscious mind. Subconscious mind is responsible for all your involuntary actions. Below are the few examples where your emotions overpower your logical thinking.

1. When you are feeling anxious to give your first public speech, you can’t convince yourself logically that there is no need to afraid.
  2. Once you became perfect in driving, you don’t think logically every time. You tend to think something else but you don’t loose control over the vehicle.
  3. While we are sleeping, we don’t use ou

In our brain, Logical thinking and analysis are controlled by conscious mind whereas emotions are controlled by subconscious mind. Subconscious mind is responsible for all your involuntary actions. Below are the few examples where your emotions overpower your logical thinking.

1. When you are feeling anxious to give your first public speech, you can’t convince yourself logically that there is no need to afraid.
  2. Once you became perfect in driving, you don’t think logically every time. You tend to think something else but you don’t loose control over the vehicle.
  3. While we are sleeping, we don’t use our logical thinking. Due to our emotions, we some times get ridiculous dreams which are impossible in practical world.
  4. When you are engrossed in playing Squash or any other game, your reflex actions are not controlled by your logical mind.
  5. Similarly, when you are engaged in a fight also.

To know more. Subconscious emotions

We ought to do our utmost to control our emotions. Emotional decisions are seldom good decisions. They take only how WE feel into account. They do not consider practical circumstances. They do not consider how other people feel. Emotions change very quickly based also on non-finite input. Many people find themselves after five years, married to the wrong person because they married based on how they were feeling at a vulnerable time. That is a very expensive lesson on many different levels. Avoid emotional decisions. Try to make a life plan and make decisions that empower it and avoid decision

We ought to do our utmost to control our emotions. Emotional decisions are seldom good decisions. They take only how WE feel into account. They do not consider practical circumstances. They do not consider how other people feel. Emotions change very quickly based also on non-finite input. Many people find themselves after five years, married to the wrong person because they married based on how they were feeling at a vulnerable time. That is a very expensive lesson on many different levels. Avoid emotional decisions. Try to make a life plan and make decisions that empower it and avoid decisions that are not part of it. Passion, for example, does not last and if it can't be converted to respect and friendship you're in for a real roller coaster ride through the law courts. Think. Don't feel.

Some people don't have problems with emotion control. I'm not one of them. I'm a very passionate emotional person. Some people are just very emotional. It's either part of your personality or a taught behavior or both. My boyfriend is very logical and doesn't express himself on an emotional level. I envy him. The best thing you can do is identify what is triggering these strong emotions. And when you do have an overly emotional response try to talk to someone who is a very logical person. This person can help you stay focused on what is important. Maybe counceling would be good idea. My boyfri

Some people don't have problems with emotion control. I'm not one of them. I'm a very passionate emotional person. Some people are just very emotional. It's either part of your personality or a taught behavior or both. My boyfriend is very logical and doesn't express himself on an emotional level. I envy him. The best thing you can do is identify what is triggering these strong emotions. And when you do have an overly emotional response try to talk to someone who is a very logical person. This person can help you stay focused on what is important. Maybe counceling would be good idea. My boyfriend responds very logically. When I have issues and I'm being overly emotional he reminds me to look at the situation calmly and try to remember what really needs to be done. I hate to bring astrology into this but Aquarius are very unemotional logical sign. I would seek their council.

It depends on the kind of person you are. Logic won't work for a person with emotional characteristics. One has got to have a very strong mindset to go for logical actions.

here is a story of one of my friend. I call her an emotional fool.

She resides with her aunt from past 8-10 years. Her aunt is exceptionally good at heart. Takes good care of her. Provides her with almost everything she wants. In short, she is living a life, an orphan can hardly imagine.

But the twist in the story is, the moment my friend wants to move ahead with a good job and a life of her own( here I would mention that th

It depends on the kind of person you are. Logic won't work for a person with emotional characteristics. One has got to have a very strong mindset to go for logical actions.

here is a story of one of my friend. I call her an emotional fool.

She resides with her aunt from past 8-10 years. Her aunt is exceptionally good at heart. Takes good care of her. Provides her with almost everything she wants. In short, she is living a life, an orphan can hardly imagine.

But the twist in the story is, the moment my friend wants to move ahead with a good job and a life of her own( here I would mention that the girl is quite qualified and capable), her aunt gets really rude to her and goes upto the extent of blackmailing her emotionally. And for this poor little friend of mine, the mere thought of hurting the lady makes her reject every good job offer she gets.

now, thinking logically, don't you think that she has the right to improve her quality of life and move ahead. With a good job, she can also take care of her aunt. But I know she won't do this untill she gets the lady's permission!