Revolution Diabolique - WIP

A terrifying new power has been unleashed in the French Revolution. Will you support the Republic or the monarchy, the peasantry or the nobility? Can you direct the course of the Revolution, or will you lose your head? Obliterate your foes with demonic magic, sway crowds with supernatural aid, or summon a giant monster to wreak havoc!
Will you join the Revolutionary Army and export the Revolution to every corner of Europe, with a little demonic enhancement, or betray it to advance your own cause? Found demonology as a new scientific discipline, launch a new cult centered around demons, or simply conduct your experiments in secret? Get involved in local or national politics, if you can navigate the turbulent waters of revolution without being pulled under the surface.
What are you willing to sacrifice to secure power and make the changes you want to see in the world: your friends, your reputation, or even your own humanity?

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bi, ace, or poly.*
  • Restore the monarchy, defend the republic, or push for even more radical reforms.
  • Engage in political machinations, military campaigns, public service, researching demon magic, or a personal feud.
  • Identify and bind various demons, with different strengths, weaknesses, abilities, and needs.
*I want to support poly. Romances are still somewhat underdeveloped at this point. So, here’s the thread for this WIP, now that I’ve finished chapter 6 of 8 (to include multiple chapter 7s, depending on choices.) I appreciate any feedback you can give, especially any continuity errors or pronoun/name problems you can find. Also interested in balance and difficulty feelings, because that’s pretty hard to eyeball from the outset. The Dashingdon link is here: https://dashingdon.com/play/chrisc/diabolique/mygame/ If you find a problem, screenshots are best, or at least copied and pasted text from the game. Thank you!

I’ve been waiting for next project!
I’ll reserve some time later to read the demo tonight
:two_hearts:

I love what you have so far!

You had me at the French revolution and then demons was the cherry on top :heart_eyes:.

Loving it! But I think I encountered a stat mistake; after choosing Gaudry, I chose a something along the lines of “a shared skepticism of organized religion”, which raised Mysticism instead of Empiricism.

Throughout the entire story, I felt like I had no control. Literally (or close enough) every option I selected ended failing, somehow driving someone away, or doing nothing. It was not helped by my seeming inability to ever select options that my character was built for, with the sole exception of the duel with the rival noble, the one time I ever saw a successful stat check.

No idea how useless this feedback is, but it was extremely frustrating despite really waning to enjoy it.

My positive and negative takeaways from the game:
Positive

• The customization for who exactly the MC is is very well-put-together. There’s a wide array of options that really go a long way towards defining who the MC is. Although it would’ve been cool to have a few options to be from Eastern Europe or Asia, that’s not something worth holding against you. With that being said, I do find it curious that you can be fervently religious (or the opposite) yet have the prospect of demons not really impact you.
  • The setting is interesting. France is a fascinating country with a lot of history, and COG hasn’t covered it much save the Eagle’s Heir.
  • The concept is interesting. The idea of a demon summoner directing the course of history’s greatest revolution is an intriguing one.
  • The broad strokes of the story are well-written. Watching France fall apart is always bunches of fun.
Negative
  • It suffers from the same pitfall that almost all underwhelming COGs suffer from: the player doesn’t seem to have a lot of agency over the course of events. When the player’s decisions do matter, their impact doesn’t tend to stretch for long
  • There are too many choices, and too many occasions for you to change your beliefs. A lot of choices and the opportunity to reaffirm or recant upon your ideals can usually be good, but this is just too much.
  • The writing is inconsistent. Some passages are wonderfully narrated and fleshed-out. Other simply aren’t. A lot of the characters you encounter are just simply uninteresting. All in all, it makes for a jagged experience.
In conclusion, while I’d say you have a lovely, intriguing core to build it around, it needs a lot of work to be anything more than a potboiler.

Nice! I’ve been curious about this one ever since I saw it in the company releases list. I’ll save some hours to read it and I might get some feedback in the thread this week, but I might not be very consistent as the weeks go by.

When I join the mob and reached the intendant’s gate, could there be an option to use demonic powers against the intendant’s guards? I’m on the people’s side, but not much of a talker!
Discovered something. When I meditate and discover something out there, it marks me as Empirical. When I study Enlightenment writings, it calls me a mystic. Shouldn’t that be the reverse?
…And when I tried to get Yvon to do an academic analysis, this increased further.
After the battle of Lyon, I get asked my opinion of Robespierre’s execution. However, I’m a Republican Authoritarian; why is there no option to say I supported Robespierre and am unhappy with the coup?
On another playthrough: I ask V for help, then to resign, after I disperse the mob. And I get:

The next few days are a whirlwind of activity, as the intendant resigns from his position. A replacement that would appease the crowd turns out to be a long time in coming. The intendant’s mansion sits nearly vacant. “Go on, then,” he says.
…and it recycles back to the discussion.