I want to start thinking more creatively, without losing my logical thinking. How can I balance the two?

Write science fiction.

I think it was Ursula K. LeGuin who wrote that SF looks at today and imagines where it might go. That’s a logical, deductive process. However, imaging the details is creative, as is writing fiction.

Logical thinking can be learned. It can be learned by being a student of Socratic Learning. It can be learned by studying computer programming. It can be learned from studying Traditional Logic. It can be learned by learning what Logical Fallacies are.

Another way to learn logical thinking is to learn to see at least TWO SIDES to every argument. Today’s society is discouraging people to see anything from more than one side. If you question anything that is a popular view, especially if most “doctors” or “scientists” allegedly hold some view, you are labeled a “science denier.” I wrote a fairly

Logical thinking can be learned. It can be learned by being a student of Socratic Learning. It can be learned by studying computer programming. It can be learned from studying Traditional Logic. It can be learned by learning what Logical Fallacies are.

Another way to learn logical thinking is to learn to see at least TWO SIDES to every argument. Today’s society is discouraging people to see anything from more than one side. If you question anything that is a popular view, especially if most “doctors” or “scientists” allegedly hold some view, you are labeled a “science denier.” I wrote a fairly extensive answer to a Quora question that applies here:

Arnie Stanton's answer to Why do smart people deny science, or are they?

Unfortunately, less and less people are taught how to think or question things, which is the FOUNDATION of the Scientific Method. I argue in the linked answer that ALL of us are practicing the Scientific Method when we come up with theories, and then QUESTION them. To simply swallow a theory because it was taught to us is NOT being a scientist, but in reality is the TRUE science denier.

It is interesting that even the BIBLE teaches that we should look for at least TWO sides of every argument:

Proverbs 18:17

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

In the age when the Internet is more and more CENSORING information that questions the official beliefs on numerous topics, it is getting harder and harder to find that second or third side of any argument. I urge the reader to FIGHT for an UNCENSORED INTERNET!

I'm going to connect this to my other field of interest, evolution and natural selection.

First, to improve creativity, you need a wider variety of ideas. In evolution, you get these through mutations, but that doesn't really work in this situation. Brainstorming can work - just find and write down as many ideas as you can - but here is another technique.

This is called 'forced connections'. You take your problem ("How can I get a girlfriend?") and add a randomly chosen word. I will now go to the eighth page of the closest book and take the first word..."That higher..." "That" won't work but

I'm going to connect this to my other field of interest, evolution and natural selection.

First, to improve creativity, you need a wider variety of ideas. In evolution, you get these through mutations, but that doesn't really work in this situation. Brainstorming can work - just find and write down as many ideas as you can - but here is another technique.

This is called 'forced connections'. You take your problem ("How can I get a girlfriend?") and add a randomly chosen word. I will now go to the eighth page of the closest book and take the first word..."That higher..." "That" won't work but 'higher' can.

To get a girlfriend, I:

1. should be taller - maybe put inserts in my shoes
  2. should take the high road and be classy and have high standards
  3. can look for girls from a high place
  4. could 'hire' (tee-hee) some people to help me
  5. can take women on dates to higher places - hills or mountains or tall buildings

Adding a limitation like this usually increases creativity. The blank page is the toughest opponent but if you start with an idea or constraint, you have guidelines.

Okay, you now have creative ideas. Some of them are pretty stupid. I would use logic to remove the 'be taller' idea. This is the selection process of evolution that we are now modelling. This is also the "Write drunk, edit sober" maxim attributed to Hemingway (a quick Googling suggests he didn't actually say this). The point here is to separate creativity and logic into two processes.

Leaving my analogy behind, I also suggest writing for improving both creativity and logical thinking. Let your imagination run free with creative writing and focus on persuading someone in an essay. I frequently write my way through a problem and as my evidence for one position over another increases, I sometimes finish with the opposite opinion to what I started with.

How do you improve your logical thinking as compared to your creative thinking…

I see this question has already been answered by many people and I am quite late to respond, nevertheless I will expound how would have I achieved it.

Creativity by essence of it all meanings and interpretations - is the newness or originality in the expression of any existing idea.

It is more of how you say something when you say it.

It is more of having the new eyes to look at something when the view has never changed.

So, it is obviously subjective.

You, having your own personal style to say, do or see something, is w

How do you improve your logical thinking as compared to your creative thinking…

I see this question has already been answered by many people and I am quite late to respond, nevertheless I will expound how would have I achieved it.

Creativity by essence of it all meanings and interpretations - is the newness or originality in the expression of any existing idea.

It is more of how you say something when you say it.

It is more of having the new eyes to look at something when the view has never changed.

So, it is obviously subjective.

You, having your own personal style to say, do or see something, is what makes you creative.

Now, when we think about logic, it is rational and causative. It could be taught to a person to be reasonable and to act a certain way, in order to achieve a certain outcome, as opposed to being spontaneous.

It is more of a pattern recognition and then building over that pattern thing.

It is a function of understanding rather than intuitive originality.

Remember that, when we talk about seeing a pattern, we are talking about being able to see the puzzle pieces, and the consequent big picture. A pattern itself means that it has pre-existed, as opposed to creative thinking which in itself is original and indigenous.

So you kind of train your mind, to link patterns and to look to their possible outcomes and thus you can predict the behavior, and the outcomes of situations.

Reasoning and analytical thinking can be learned by guiding your mind to think in a certain way.

And as one person already pointed out here, very importantly :

‘Put yourself out of the equation and try to look at the situations objectively.’

A2A

Let me try to explain with simple example— Task is to find student whose rank is first and last in class. Before you write code, follow these steps. These will help you in resolving your problem.

• Understand what you want to do carefully and define correct problem definition.

we can define our problem as “Find Max and Min Marks from list”

• Break down main task into smaller tasks

Task looks easier when you devide it into smaller tasks. Here, You can break down it as--

1. Read all student’s names and marks.
  2. Sort Students by marks in descending order
  3. Print name of student with first rank as first record f

A2A

Let me try to explain with simple example— Task is to find student whose rank is first and last in class. Before you write code, follow these steps. These will help you in resolving your problem.

• Understand what you want to do carefully and define correct problem definition.

we can define our problem as “Find Max and Min Marks from list”

• Break down main task into smaller tasks

Task looks easier when you devide it into smaller tasks. Here, You can break down it as--

1. Read all student’s names and marks.
  2. Sort Students by marks in descending order
  3. Print name of student with first rank as first record from list
  4. Print name of student with last rank as last record from list

Go further and break down these task again into smaller tasks.

For Ex: Read all student’s names and marks can be break down as follow:

1. Define data-structure or variables to hold all student’s names and marks.
  2. Define input method for reading data.
  3. Get input and validate.
  4. Add input to defined database (variable or database)
  • Always look for alternative.

There is always another way to do it. Before you proceed, check if there is any alternative way of solving problem and select simplest and easiest alternative.

For example in our case, we can solve it other way as follow :

1) Read student’s name and marks

2) Save it into database.

3) Fetch student with Max value of mark from database using database query, print as first rank

4)Fetch student with min value of mark from database using database query, print as last rank

• Analyze

re-think on what you have decided and consider all possibilities to ensure 100% correctness.

Now, as you have list of small task, star coding. Start with simplest task.

Apply above for any programm you want write. If you still find it difficult, For few days, forget about programming and start solving logical puzzles. once you feel you are comfortable with it, come back to programming.

Luminous Learning

Starter Puzzles

Once you feel more than comfortable with solving these puzzles, come back to programming and try to follow these instructions.

Above All-- as mentioned in every answer to this question- Practice!! Any technique will not work without practice.

Thanks for the A2A.

Before I answer this question, I'd like to state the fact that this answer is based purely on my Point of View regarding my understanding about the various forms of thinking. I may be wrong at certain places and if that happens to be the case then I'd happily stand corrected by an individual who has a better insight into the field of Human Thinking than I do.

Now for your question:

My answer to it would be NO. You cannot treat Creative Thinking and Logical Thinking as two separate entities. Allow me to explain why

• Creative Thinking and Logical Thinking are two processes that ar

Thanks for the A2A.

Before I answer this question, I'd like to state the fact that this answer is based purely on my Point of View regarding my understanding about the various forms of thinking. I may be wrong at certain places and if that happens to be the case then I'd happily stand corrected by an individual who has a better insight into the field of Human Thinking than I do.

Now for your question:

My answer to it would be NO. You cannot treat Creative Thinking and Logical Thinking as two separate entities. Allow me to explain why

• Creative Thinking and Logical Thinking are two processes that are co dependent upon one another i.e. neither one of them can be used properly if the other type of thinking is not present to supplement it. Let's have a look at these simple yet amazing examples.
  1. I am sure you are familiar with the name Sherlock Holmes,the legendary detective. Now if you were to observe his pattern of thinking you'd notice that he employs Creative Thinking to put himself in the position of the victim or the culprit by recreating the crime scene in his mind. Once he does that,he employs Logical Thinking to deduce the events that may have occured. He further uses Logical Thinking to determine the order in which the events might have occured. Once he does that, he weighs his theory against multiple other theories that he creates in a manner similar to the one described above. Notice how he now employs Logical Thinking once again to select the best possible theory amongst the multiple theories that he develops. He then proceeds to solve the crime on the basis of the theory that he chose and he rarely ever misses.
  2. For the next example, I'd like you to imagine a writer. Now let us say that this writer is hit by some new idea all of a sudden(Creative Thinking). What he does next is that he explores this idea and then he eventually uses Logical Thinking to develop his characters and the various forms of relationships that exist among them. In simple terms, the writer uses his creative thinking to extract a new idea from his brain and then he uses Logical Thinking to connect the strings amongst the various characters in order to weave a plot.

Keeping in mind both these examples, I'd like to conclude by saying that Logical Thinking and Creative Thinking are both equally important. You cannot view them as two separate entities and IT IS A FACT that these two processes feed off one another. One of these processes cannot possibly exist without being supplemented by the other.If Creative Thinking is needed to design a new idea then Logical Thinking is needed to further develop and draw a conclusion for that idea.

I hope this answers your question.

How about core-lateral thinking; core is essentially delving deep insight/rekindling the roots as much as we can reasonably reach across and lateral is essentially exemplifying a step away from the usual/the typical-the vertical or linear modes of thinking patterns.

For its not trying to experiment with something far beyond reasonability-but in striving to venture in pathways that one is cognizant with and ensuring that the level of awareness that expands at its pace is not being rigidly coaxed into just being made to adopt any kind of unrealistic approaches/methods or techniques whatsoever.

Sin

How about core-lateral thinking; core is essentially delving deep insight/rekindling the roots as much as we can reasonably reach across and lateral is essentially exemplifying a step away from the usual/the typical-the vertical or linear modes of thinking patterns.

For its not trying to experiment with something far beyond reasonability-but in striving to venture in pathways that one is cognizant with and ensuring that the level of awareness that expands at its pace is not being rigidly coaxed into just being made to adopt any kind of unrealistic approaches/methods or techniques whatsoever.

Since what is the point in ultimately gaining some ground/’tract’-ion when we are deviating from conforming to the ethical/legitimate conventionalities/norms.

Now some may concur that assertively referring to something out of the way and then also withholding ever more conservatively?

Well, its more of an ever diligent and prudent approach because when we delve deep and keep exploring ever in depth forays, if we tend to venture far beyond the sensible domains/realms/spheres of where our presence of mind is not being able to reasonably navigate, then we are entertaining forces that might be far beyond our control.

Our quest is purely insightful in-attainment that is gradually striving to carve a niche/pathways that will be able to serve as a formidable platform for our ingenious growth not to impress anyone;but in some ways, invoking the wisdom consciousness of the collective consciousness disapora of whether those who were there much before us and might have further evolved into higher realms to earnestly seek their guidance in helping to better identify the essential and time and again-the true aims of essentialities that bear relevance to upliftment of our awareness as well as acquiring/grasping that-those sets of information that will mutually contribute to the greater goodness/sustainable intelligence growth orientationality patterns for those who are being able to elevate/raise their consciousness ever more eminently-the point being that those who were there before us might have not been able to fulfill some of their agendas, but they were remarkable individuals who were in the process of accomplishing far much more, so then its like a relay where we are humbly seeking to carry the baton of wisdom forthrightly towards/on worth’s in the directions/spheres that will keep on illuminating its ever perennial wisdom consciousness’s reverential reciprocity to all that it ever touches in their lifetime/life’s true aims-for they who tend to come across the respective inner formation will not be selfish or hoard or just relinquish the process upon acquiring some sets of pedestals/milestones…..rather they will tend to bring forth and unleash an ever remarkable code of conduct’s realization of how much more commendably/meritoriously this life’s stature could ever more precisely evolve for the greater collective good…………

Tip 1: Learn the language ‘C’ ~You might be an expert .NET, Java or PHP developer, but I would recommend that you MUST learn ‘C. We all know why ‘C’ is the most powerful programming language, but I am not recommending learning ‘C’ to you because of its power in programming.‘C’ offers you a structured style of
programming. You have one file with the main() method and the execution
begins from there and the execution flow proceeds as you have directed it to.The main advantage in ‘C’ is that it allows you to play around with memory directly. This I believe is very important if you need to under

Tip 1: Learn the language ‘C’ ~You might be an expert .NET, Java or PHP developer, but I would recommend that you MUST learn ‘C. We all know why ‘C’ is the most powerful programming language, but I am not recommending learning ‘C’ to you because of its power in programming.‘C’ offers you a structured style of
programming. You have one file with the main() method and the execution
begins from there and the execution flow proceeds as you have directed it to.The main advantage in ‘C’ is that it allows you to play around with memory directly. This I believe is very important if you need to understand how data is passed from one memory block to another. The reason is that you start to visualize in your minds eye how data moves in your program.The next step is to develop programs that will help you improve your logic.

Tip 2: Develop programs that test your mind skills ~Ever heard of the Fibonacci series?Ever built a program that will allow the user to type his/her name and allow to bounce off that name on the screen from one corner to another like a ball?Ever thought of creating a library for a Menu Bar system?All these are examples of programs that you can develop to improve your mind and programming skills.I remember the time I was at college and I would spends nights after nights to build my own library for screen interface for menu bars,
windows, text fields, etc. In a UNIX box I would use the ncurses library and build it. I would then try and replicate the same in Windows using the conio.h file and some assembly code.Try to develop as many programs as possible in ‘C’, this will help you improve your programming logic.Following are some programs that I can help you with:Write a program (WAP) to find the max, min, average and total of numbers entered by the userWAP to accept a string from the user and find the number of vowels and the vowels that got repeated the most.WAP to accept an array of numbers and sort the same using Bubble Sort Algorithm.WAP to accept a string from the user and print all its permutations and combinations.WAP to accept to accept a number from the user and test if it is a Fibonacci number or not.I can go on and on with such questions.

Tip 3: Locate code and try to understand why it was written that way ~Use
the internet or college library to locate code written by another
developer. Try to understand why it was written that way and understand
it completely. Once you have understood why it was written they way it
is written, check to see if you could improve that logic.The main objective of this exercise is to get your brain thinking.
Tip 4: Solve logic puzzles ~Check
your local newspaper. One section of your newspaper will be filled with
series of logic puzzles and riddles. Try solving them. Don’t get
disheartened if you can’t solve them or take a long time to solve them.
Remember that you are in the learning and improving stage. Things will
be slow, but you will make progress.Your brain will be trained to think
differently with every puzzle that you try to solve. This is because now
you know a new method of solving. You could apply the same thinking
pattern to your programs as well.As a standard prescription, I would
prescribe solving Suduku puzzles. Will help you improve your logic,
concentration and skills of grouping and organizing.

Tip 5: Help other people build logic ~Once
you start feeling confident about yourself and your logic capabilities,
you should immediately start helping people. Subscribe to a forum and
start helping people there. The benefit of helping people on forums is
that you get to learn new problems that people face. This immensely adds
to your knowledge. Just imagine the power you would have once you start
to learn problems faced by other people and how you or someone else
resolved it.I have seen friends following this advice but shying at
the last moment. Why? Because they don’t want to be ridiculed in the
forum. Don’t be scared of other people ridiculing you. Look at it as a
learning experience. People who ridicule you would be the one’s with
more experience… and learning from people who are experienced is no harm
at all.

Possibilities for being creative with logical approach may not always had a yes, so it depends on the approach creativity is art and logical approach is based on rational experience.
For an example Inventor Thomas Alva Edison was born on February 11, 1847, in Milan, Ohio. He was the last of the seven children of Samuel and Nancy Edison. Thomas's father was an exiled political activist from Canada. His mother, an accomplished school teacher, was a major influence in Thomas’ early life. An early bout with scarlet fever as well as ear infections left him with hearing difficulties in both ears, a

Possibilities for being creative with logical approach may not always had a yes, so it depends on the approach creativity is art and logical approach is based on rational experience.
For an example Inventor Thomas Alva Edison was born on February 11, 1847, in Milan, Ohio. He was the last of the seven children of Samuel and Nancy Edison. Thomas's father was an exiled political activist from Canada. His mother, an accomplished school teacher, was a major influence in Thomas’ early life. An early bout with scarlet fever as well as ear infections left him with hearing difficulties in both ears, a malady that would eventually leave him nearly deaf as an adult. Edison would later recount as an adult, with variations on the story, that he lost his hearing due to a train incident where his ears were injured. But others have tended to discount this as the sole cause of his hearing loss.
His achievementsInventor Thomas Edison created such great innovations as the electric light bulb and the phonograph. A savvy businessman, he held more than a 1,000 patents for his inventions.
But a creative mind always has vision and his approach towards his creativity is logical. Logics help to creat dream into reality hence without creativity logical approach is limited.
So be creative be illogical to creat logoic. :)

Ask anybody that you may look up to a simple question and not necessarily about your thinking ability, try to understand their answer.

When you find a person that is willing to converse for longer periods of time and maybe you have gained their trust you could ask them about your inabilities.

Before there is mathematics as in the repetition of daily activity, money or social events there is geometry.

It could be said geometry when measured is from point A to B and then you may not go directly back to A when you’re done with B so consider C, eventually you’ll find there are many more points or loc

Ask anybody that you may look up to a simple question and not necessarily about your thinking ability, try to understand their answer.

When you find a person that is willing to converse for longer periods of time and maybe you have gained their trust you could ask them about your inabilities.

Before there is mathematics as in the repetition of daily activity, money or social events there is geometry.

It could be said geometry when measured is from point A to B and then you may not go directly back to A when you’re done with B so consider C, eventually you’ll find there are many more points or locations than the alphabet and the priority management of these places, your time spent and what you do there will become logical.

Many adults do not have logic yet even a child can gather the information necessary to live a better life.

Logic, first of all, helps us to connect causes and effects, as well as perform reasoning which is a basis of thinking process. Creative skills help us to connect seemingly non-related things in all possible ways, thus creating new things that were not known before. When applying creativity to solve a problem, logic is used in two ways: first, it helps us to uncover causes of problems as well as to see the same problem in different dimensions, and second, it helps to perform reasoning to expand borders when connecting things in a novel way. Logic also helps to predict consequences of applying

Logic, first of all, helps us to connect causes and effects, as well as perform reasoning which is a basis of thinking process. Creative skills help us to connect seemingly non-related things in all possible ways, thus creating new things that were not known before. When applying creativity to solve a problem, logic is used in two ways: first, it helps us to uncover causes of problems as well as to see the same problem in different dimensions, and second, it helps to perform reasoning to expand borders when connecting things in a novel way. Logic also helps to predict consequences of applying new creative ideas and, therefore, generate more ideas. In general, possessing strong logic skills considerably increases the power of creative skills.