I notice I make bad logical/common-sense decisions at times. What could I do to decrease that aspect of myself?

1. Always Imagine All the Possible Scenarios

If you want to make rational decisions, you must learn to accept that everything is possible.

The bet you are about to play might go wrongly, the position you are about to take in that trade might be wrong.

The job is about to apply for and might not lead to you being employed. The ideas you hold so strongly might be wrong.

Allowing yourself to see all the possibilities helps you make better decisions. If you accept that your bet might go sideways, you'll not put your all into it.

Accepting your trade might not go well makes you leverage wisely.

We don't

1. Always Imagine All the Possible Scenarios

If you want to make rational decisions, you must learn to accept that everything is possible.

The bet you are about to play might go wrongly, the position you are about to take in that trade might be wrong.

The job is about to apply for and might not lead to you being employed. The ideas you hold so strongly might be wrong.

Allowing yourself to see all the possibilities helps you make better decisions. If you accept that your bet might go sideways, you'll not put your all into it.

Accepting your trade might not go well makes you leverage wisely.

We don't hope for negativity, but bad things happen. We are not special. The world doesn't revolve around us.

We must learn to think our decisions through and boldly face all possibilities. This will help us avoid being severely burned when things don't work out as hoped.

2. Make decisions based on a greater good

As Goethe said, “A man really lives when he delights the goodwill of others.”

Always thinking about yourself can make you blind. You rush towards anything that will bring the highest gain within the shortest time.

Your decisions will revolve around what will bring the highest money and pleasure. Becoming rational is considering others when you make decisions.

A self-centered person enters a relationship because it's good for his/her status. They see every relationship as a means to get something.

They go for jobs that will offer the highest pay instead of a place where they can make the most contribution and also grow. To them, the paycheck is more important than the nature of the job.

When our decisions are self-centered, they are bound to be irrational and regrettable.

The person who went into a relationship for status will soon feel empty, neglected, and without love.

A high-paying job that suffocates you and offers you no chance to grow or feel useful will soon make you feel empty and meaningless.

3. Question your intense emotions

To become more rational, you must first understand yourself.

How do you understand yourself?

By observing yourself. Catch yourself during moments of intense emotion.

Ask, why do I feel this way towards this person?

Why do I feel so defensive all of a sudden? Why do I feel so anxious in this situation?

Where's this anger and frustration coming from?

Our emotions are a large part of our decision-making process and most of us just let them drive us. We think because we are excited or feel positive about something, it must turn out well. But this is usually not the case.

By questioning your intense emotions, you give yourself space to think.

You are able to respond and not just react.

4. Focus on the things you can control

You won't make good decisions if you are always exhausted thinking about trivialities.

“When a man asks too much and delights in complications,” Goethe said, “he is exposed to perplexity. ”

Rationality is choosing your response to what life throws at you.

We don't have control over everything. Shit happens. Life sucks sometimes.

But what are you going to do about it?

There's only so much energy to go around. You must prioritize and give adequate attention to the right things.

You can control your attitude, but you can't control if a person will like you or not. You can work hard, but you can't control if your boss will appreciate you or not.

Trying to control anything outside yourself is unrealistic and irrational.

5. Avoid reacting under intense emotion, always think things through

You want to start a business, but you don't have any experience in managing a business.

You can see yourself being addressed as CEO already. With millions in your account. End result: waste of money.

You've dated for a few weeks, he/she is rich, sexy, and good-looking. Next is marriage.

Decisions made during the intense rush of excitement and emotion often lead to regret. We hardly see the real picture and dangers in them.

We should avoid making decisions in the rush of things. We must learn to withdraw and really examine our choices in a relaxed and passionless state.

6. Find time to reflect

I've come across people who keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Their relationships break up for the same reasons. Some fall victims to scams over and over again.

You made an irrational decision, you regret it. But when you find yourself in the same circumstance, you make the same mistake.

These sorts of reactions occur because we don't take out time to examine our lives. Experience doesn't add knowledge to us if we don't find time for introspection.

“Experiences are useless if we don't make a conscious effort to learn from them.”

If we want to make more rational decisions, if we will avoid repeating past mistakes, we must find time to reflect.

7. Read

Books broaden our perspective. Whatever problem you are passing through, books have been written on it.

Reading helps reduce unnecessary mistakes.

They help us understand how other people think. Books help you connect the dots, making you make more sense of your experiences.

You are able to learn from the mistakes of others. You also learn how they overcame their problems. All these contribute immensely to your ability to make rational decisions.

8. Be Extra Cautious in times of Sudden Gains and Losses

In Robert Green's book; The Laws of Human Nature, He wrote that “Whenever you experience unusual gains or losses, that is precisely the time to step back and counterbalance them with some necessary pessimism or optimism.”

Whenever we experience an unexpected win, we tend to become over-excited. We begin to feel like it is our destiny. We forget the place of luck.

This is the trader who over-leverages after having a winning streak.

Some scammers play on this flaw as well; they make sure your first transaction with them is a success. You, being overexcited, end up investing more than you did the first time.

On the other hand, a sudden series of losses can make us totally lose confidence in ourselves.

In times of sudden gain or loss, we must train ourselves to step back. Look at how possible it is for the opposite reality to have been the case.

Robert Greene stated, “Rationality is not a power you are born with but one you acquire through training and practice.”

It's OK to make wrong decisions in life. But through self-examination and introspection, we can reduce our chances of making regrettable and irrational choices.

Source: 9 Effective Ways To Use Rationality In Decision Making

First of all, good for you for recognizing the problem! I’m going to suggest that you look for or create a bit of time to project the consequences of your decisions. Try to avoid last-minute situations. Nurture that part of you that recognizes those “bad moves.”

Now, here’s the tricky part. It can be very easy to get into “overthinking” every decision, with the result that you either lose an opportunity, or someone takes it from you. So try this: make the decision, then jot it down. After you’ve done this for a week or so, “upvote” the good ones and “downvote” the bad ones. See if there’s a pat

First of all, good for you for recognizing the problem! I’m going to suggest that you look for or create a bit of time to project the consequences of your decisions. Try to avoid last-minute situations. Nurture that part of you that recognizes those “bad moves.”

Now, here’s the tricky part. It can be very easy to get into “overthinking” every decision, with the result that you either lose an opportunity, or someone takes it from you. So try this: make the decision, then jot it down. After you’ve done this for a week or so, “upvote” the good ones and “downvote” the bad ones. See if there’s a pattern: do your downvotes tend to involve purchases, for example, or relationships, or over- or under-indulgence? Knowing which areas are difficult for you will help you to spot which decisions need a bit more thought.

I hope this helps, Angel!

Making bad decisions is not a skill you should increase, but if you really do want to increase it, try just doing the first random thing that comes into your head, That aught to increase your bad decision rating hugely.

Stop. Don’t do anything. Breath.

Jumping is a very dangerous adaption, but does work from time to time.

Are you taking the time to think through the outcome of the situation? Do you think this is an option? Can you think about the outcomes of your actions and how they will effect you and the people around you?

I’m not sure everyone can. Its not a intelligence thing, but maybe a creative aspect? It might have more to do with knowledge then anything. Do you know what is likely to happen when things are done or react?

I’m not totally against doing thing on the moment, but its a very iffy situation. I

Stop. Don’t do anything. Breath.

Jumping is a very dangerous adaption, but does work from time to time.

Are you taking the time to think through the outcome of the situation? Do you think this is an option? Can you think about the outcomes of your actions and how they will effect you and the people around you?

I’m not sure everyone can. Its not a intelligence thing, but maybe a creative aspect? It might have more to do with knowledge then anything. Do you know what is likely to happen when things are done or react?

I’m not totally against doing thing on the moment, but its a very iffy situation. I like to understand what I do, and the consequences of those actions. Some times there is no knowledge or guidebook to follow, sometimes there is.

I dunno - stop judging other people, perhaps? Let them live their own lives, maybe? And don’t interfere?

Whenever I have a decision to make, I ask the I Ching, an oracle, to get spiritual advice. It steers me in the right direction. I recommend the Wilhelm Baynes version. I’m sure there are videos online that show how to get answers using coins.

I’ve never met anyone who thinks common sense is a bad thing. It’s the misapplication of the word that people are rejecting. Sometimes what a person thinks is the application of common sense is really just an over simplification of a problem to make their answer seem correct. While their answer may seem logically true, it’s not really the best answer. People will sometimes overlook relevant details and nuances of a situation to make an easy answer fit. They do this and claim they are using common sense. Contrary to what some people believe, the simplest answer is not always the correct answer.

I’ve never met anyone who thinks common sense is a bad thing. It’s the misapplication of the word that people are rejecting. Sometimes what a person thinks is the application of common sense is really just an over simplification of a problem to make their answer seem correct. While their answer may seem logically true, it’s not really the best answer. People will sometimes overlook relevant details and nuances of a situation to make an easy answer fit. They do this and claim they are using common sense. Contrary to what some people believe, the simplest answer is not always the correct answer. The simplest explanation is not always the right one.

Here’s a little story to illustrate my point:

Joe, Bill, and Steve are hanging out in Joe’s backyard one evening. They are standing around and talking about the cost of tree stump removal. Joe has been wanting to remove a stump from his yard, but has been reluctant to spend the money to have someone dig it up by the roots and haul it away.

Joe is at home and is comfortable walking around the backyard barefooted. In the middle of the conversation Joe kicks the stump. “OUCH!”, he exclaims as he rubs his aching toes.

Steve chuckles, points down at his own foot and says: “ Joe, you need a good pair of work-boots like mine. These things are made of tough leather, have thick soles, and steel toes. With boots like these you could go around kicking stumps all day and it wouldn’t hurt your toes”.

Joe looks over and says: “You’re right Steve, I need to invest in some boots like those”.

Joe and Steve go on to discuss the boots, where to get them and the cost.

Just then Bill interrupts: “ Joe, you don’t need to spend that kind of money on expensive boots. Use a little common sense, just stop kicking stumps and you won’t be hurting your foot! Besides you could save that money to put towards having that stump removed.”

Joe and Steve have to agree. What Bill said makes perfect sense. Kicking stumps is a pointless activity. Why even do it? Even if it is a shame that Joe has no reason to buy the boots. Every guy needs a good excuse to buy a pair of Red Wings. They are pretty damn comfortable!

This was an example of common sense at work. Now on to the second half of the story:

Joe, Bill, and Steve all work at the local steel plant. Steve drives a forklift, Bill works in shipping and receiving, and Joe works on a production line. The company makes many different parts and products and has contracts to produce things for multiple companies.

Joe works at station 1 on his production line. He cuts long sections of I beams into smaller sections of specified lengths . He rough cuts them using an acetylene torch. After Joe is finished with the parts they move on to station 2 where they are squared up and cut to precise lengths using a heavy band saw. Then they move on to station 3 where various holes are drilled and notches cut. After that it moves to station 4 where hooks are welded on some and brackets for pulleys are welded on others. Then they go off to the wash and paint lines.

It’s minutes before lunch break and Bill and Steve approach Joe’s work area. Joe is working away, torch burning and sparks flying as he cuts. Suddenly they hear him yelling. “OUCH! SUNUVABITCH that hurts!”

The problem is that Joe is wearing low topped oxfords and those sparks that are flying are small embers of molten steel. They are occasionally going into his shoes and burning his ankles. Not to mention the possibility of an accident where a beam could fall and smash Joe’s toes. These shoes just aren’t fit for the job.

About that time the whistle sounds for break. Joe shuts down and turns around to see his friends waiting. Steve points to his foot and says “See Joe, I told you you needed some good boots. It will save your feet”. Joe agrees and says he plans to get some after all.

Once again Bill pipes in and says “Guys, guys, guys, didn’t you learn anything yesterday?” “If what you are doing is hurting your feet; just don’t do it! Have some common sense!”

This time instead of agreeing with Bill, Joe and Steve just look at him like he’s crazy.

Bills simple advice worked yesterday. It made perfect sense. In this context though, his answer doesn’t work. He’s completely overlooked relevant facts of the situation: Joe can’t stand a different way when he’s working. He definitely can’t just stop what he is doing. The whole production line depends on his work. The construction company that buys the parts depend on his work. Joe’s family needs him to put food on the table by keeping his job. The correct answer is to buy the boots, not stop what he’s doing. Sometimes Bill’s a boob.

Alright, so my story isn’t OSHA approved. You’re not likely to find a steel mill that lets guys get away with wearing penny loafers on the production line. Just assume the story took place in 1960 when small town steel mills were still like the wild west. Guys did stupid shit until they found out it hurts. A lot! There wasn’t much oversight.

My story might be simple but it illustrates my point. When you apply this to more complicated subjects such as science, medicine, law, psychology, or philosophy it gets much harder to judge where simple, common sense answers fit. These subjects have many more critical details and nuances that must be considered. You have to know a lot about these subjects to accurately solve problems related to them.

Often people will give simple minded answers that aren’t derived from full knowledge of a subject and claim it to be common sense. We’ve all probably overestimated our knowledge on a situation at some point. Everyone has given a wrong answer or bad advice at some time. The problem is that some people make a habit of it. It’s their routine. Beware of people who fear complex knowledge and freely use the word nonsense to describe it. These are the type of people who are least capable of using common sense.

True common sense is not really that common. The wisdom to know when common sense actually applies is even more rare.

Because you do not truly and fully LIKE yourself.

Where there is dis-like,

there is self-doubt.

So…

to change this, to become more self-accepting and capable of making decisions in confidence…

learn to like your self.

HOW?

Here’s the recipe:

1 cup chocolate

1 cup peanut butter

Raw Honey to taste

…….

Oh, woops… wrong recipe. :-)

Ok. “HOW DO I LIKE MYSELF?”

(Thou Shalt) Love your self with every feeling, thought, action and energy.

Find something about yourself that you appreciate. Contemplate the goodness of that characteristic. Allow yourself to really feel good and appreciative for that aspect of yourself.

Because you do not truly and fully LIKE yourself.

Where there is dis-like,

there is self-doubt.

So…

to change this, to become more self-accepting and capable of making decisions in confidence…

learn to like your self.

HOW?

Here’s the recipe:

1 cup chocolate

1 cup peanut butter

Raw Honey to taste

…….

Oh, woops… wrong recipe. :-)

Ok. “HOW DO I LIKE MYSELF?”

(Thou Shalt) Love your self with every feeling, thought, action and energy.

Find something about yourself that you appreciate. Contemplate the goodness of that characteristic. Allow yourself to really feel good and appreciative for that aspect of yourself. It might be your kindness towards animals. Your handwriting. The way you make your bed. Your speed at doing the multiplication tables. WHATEVER… ! :-)

As you allow yourself to appreciate that one thing about YOU, then think of another. Then another. As you do, allow yourself to FEEEEEL good… about YOU. See yourself as a helium balloon. With each “good” thought, you rise higher and higher into the sky.

As you go through your day, allow your attention to come back to this feeling. Watch your thoughts. Make sure each thought you have enhances this feeling of goodness. As you interact with others, speak in ways that reinforce this good feeling and thought. Act as if you are the good person.

As you become more and more comfortable with living from the elevated state, you will witness yourself treating all others better, with greater respect and empowerment.

Can you see yourself being a positive and beneficial force for good that helps to change the entire world? As you live in this state, this is actually what you are doing!

Now, as you come to decision cross-roads, you will be more and more inclined to make those decisions that are good for all the world long-term. You will feel more self-confident. You will doubt yourself less and less. You will see that every word you speak, every thing you do becomes a powerful catalyst for good in others.

WOW!

It’s so good to welcome you back!

We NEED *YOU*!

:-)

I knew several individuals with this problem and they have solved this problem by smoking a good weed but persistently. Warning! This could harm your wallet.

You couldn't believe it's the same people in a less than a year. First, they would start to showing signs of understanding a simple humor (big step forward), and, also, their empathy would appear kind from nowhere and they would say something with common sense but unexpectedly at the beginning, we even used to lough to what they said but there was something terrifying in a such sudden exchange. Incredible. Just like a regular people, well,

I knew several individuals with this problem and they have solved this problem by smoking a good weed but persistently. Warning! This could harm your wallet.

You couldn't believe it's the same people in a less than a year. First, they would start to showing signs of understanding a simple humor (big step forward), and, also, their empathy would appear kind from nowhere and they would say something with common sense but unexpectedly at the beginning, we even used to lough to what they said but there was something terrifying in a such sudden exchange. Incredible. Just like a regular people, well, almost. Anyway, progress was fast and furious.

Good news is that this changes will resist the test of time, no matter are they still smoking or not, results already achieved were irreversible and never just occasional. Bad news is that they didn't want to quit and, usually, they will develop a career as a weed dealers. I'm not sure is this news is really bad because 30 years later I can still get the good weed by excellent price without exposing myself to a humiliation of buying a weed in my age from unknown people. Not to mention the police and the other obstacles following this, um, agenda. Of course, I don't smoke weed but some of my friends does, those with a lack of common sense. Who else?

A CBSE student scoring north of 99% reminded me of a couple of friends of mine.

One boy and one girl. I know them for past several years.

Both are immensely talented, creative and hard-working ones.

Both are one of the most intelligent people I have ever met in my life.

Both went to the same college, shared the same stream and also shared a class for a couple of years.

But, their decision-making skills are not similar.

Not at all.

The girl, who had also scored north of 99 in her 10th standard, is a keen yet populist decision maker. If you go by the public opinion, then she has hardly made a wrong dec

A CBSE student scoring north of 99% reminded me of a couple of friends of mine.

One boy and one girl. I know them for past several years.

Both are immensely talented, creative and hard-working ones.

Both are one of the most intelligent people I have ever met in my life.

Both went to the same college, shared the same stream and also shared a class for a couple of years.

But, their decision-making skills are not similar.

Not at all.

The girl, who had also scored north of 99 in her 10th standard, is a keen yet populist decision maker. If you go by the public opinion, then she has hardly made a wrong decision in her life.

The boy, on the other hand, is more of an outlaw. He prefers to consult his conscience while taking his decisions and is known for taking anti-populist decisions in his life. If you go by the public opinion, then he has taken several wrong decisions in his life.

Though I don't have any right to, I'll still compare both of them (coz, you know, the society already has, and I also don't have anything else to do).

As I have already said, the girl scored to the north of 99 in her 10th std, while the boy hardly managed to score 91 (yes, in today's world, 91 is the new "low score").

The girl decided the smart decision to move to a big city (popular amongst by JEE aspirants) and invest a couple of years in preparing for IIT-JEE (a right decision indeed!).

The boy, who also decided to prepare for IIT-JEE and also joined a class, decided to do most of the study at his home, and at the crucial time, decided to focus on a better his fitness rather than study for JEE, coz apparently, he felt that weight loss was more important than getting into an IIT (such an asshole).

Both of them couldn't crack JEE and ended up in my college, a simple tier-2 college.

The girl, the talented decision maker, decided that she has wasted her life by joining this college, and decided to have more fun. Also, as she knew how to score (the typical study-what-comes-in-exam method), she could easily score good marks. So, she invested the free time to join extracurriculars profile, joined sports and organising teams and built a stellar profile.

Our asshole boy thought, and just kept studying. He decided that understanding things​ are more important than anything else, so he just studied and hardly joined any other extra-curricular's. In the end, he built a simple academically oriented profile (nothing glamorous about it. Such a nerdy asshole he is).

Again, our talented girl decided to go for MBA entrance tests, because she knew where she could earn money. And though she failed to crack those exams, it didn't matter that much, because she had already taken a job from the placement process. Smart girl.

And the boy, well, he decided to do a boring M.Tech., failed to crack GATE and had to stay at his home for a year, because this asshole didn't appear for the placement process. Man, he is just a jerk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think, who must be more successful now?

The girl, who apparently, took all the right decisions, or the boy, who apparently, made a mess of his life by taking so many bad decisions in his life?

I know, your answer must be the girl. But what if I tell you, that you are wrong?

Yes, you are.

Our talented girl, who though scored good marks, does not know anything about her field, so she had to take a job in an IT company. Her passion was travelling and photography (which she pursued a while), but as she fell back to a safe option. From last what I have heard, she is still struggling to make a mark there. She has probably lost all her desire to be something and is cursing every day.

On the other hand, our asshole boy, who took so many wrong decisions and (apparently) wasted a year, topped the college, will join a renowned​ IIT for his M.Tech. in coming weeks and is thinking about starting an unconventional business (which, again, will be condemned by the most of us). Believe it or not, that guy is a complete box of knowledge, is respected by several, and is a source of inspiration to me. It's all because he followed his passion (which, shockingly, is engineering) and worked hard throughout his life.

These two people collectively taught me a very important lesson:

Life is not about taking the right decisions, it's more about making the decisions right!

And he is not the only one. There are and were several others like him.

Columbus's decision to find India turned out to be a wrong one, but hell yeah, he found out America.

Ford, maybe took some wrong decisions and 'wasted' almost 20 years of his life, but then he is the reason why you have that new car in your backyard.

So, all those assholes (like me) around there, don't worry if you have taken (or are taking) any wrong decision. Life will give you an opportunity to turn them into the right ones. All you need to have is some amount of passion and an ability to work hard.

The world is yours if you have the heart to take it!

The way education works in the last couple decades, is it has been teaching students that there is only one right answer.

You are an unfortunate product of that educational system. You have come to believe that there is only one right answer, and that it is deemed correct by someone else giving you a grade.

The only way to learn to take your own counsel, is to force yourself to stop asking for advice on certain things, and keep a journal to write about how it went.

Yes, I'm telling you to learn to grade yourself. After you do this a few times, you will come to realize that things don't go bette

The way education works in the last couple decades, is it has been teaching students that there is only one right answer.

You are an unfortunate product of that educational system. You have come to believe that there is only one right answer, and that it is deemed correct by someone else giving you a grade.

The only way to learn to take your own counsel, is to force yourself to stop asking for advice on certain things, and keep a journal to write about how it went.

Yes, I'm telling you to learn to grade yourself. After you do this a few times, you will come to realize that things don't go better when you take the advice of others, it just seems less risky.

Would you require someone else to tell you who to be friends with? To tell you how to raise your children? To tell you when to put on a bandaid? No. You will have to practice making your own decisions, and paying close attention to see that your life doesn't fall apart when you do.

If you try making your own decisions without keeping a journal, without paying close attention to the outcomes, you will not notice that you do just fine, you will not be learning to rely on yourself.

Don't ask anyone else if it turned out ok! Just see for yourself.

Courage--you can do this.