How do you think clearly and logically under pressure?

Jocko Willink come out with a good answer for this. He said “Prioritize, then execute.”

This formula can get you out of situations, but you have to remember to do it.

How can I train myself to think faster and better under pressure?

Frankly, in response to your question, I am going to offer you longer term and more elaborate perspectives, beyond what you are thinking and doing right now:

First, read widely, read deeply, and read differently, across a wide array of mediums and topics, covering all kinds of published works, mainstream as well as from the fringes, so that you can have sustainable intellectual horsepower. You can start with: Future Edge, by Joel Arthur Barker, The Power of Focus, by Jack Canfied, and Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Sk

How can I train myself to think faster and better under pressure?

Frankly, in response to your question, I am going to offer you longer term and more elaborate perspectives, beyond what you are thinking and doing right now:

First, read widely, read deeply, and read differently, across a wide array of mediums and topics, covering all kinds of published works, mainstream as well as from the fringes, so that you can have sustainable intellectual horsepower. You can start with: Future Edge, by Joel Arthur Barker, The Power of Focus, by Jack Canfied, and Leaders Make the Future: Ten New Leadership Skills for an Uncertain World, by Bob Johansen;

Next, write widely, write deeply, and write differently, so as to garner people's attention to your evolving acumen and growing expertise, which often can lead to more public speaking and consulting engagements.

Next, begin with a warm, sincere and genuine interest in people all around you, as people are your greatest resource, as well as your wonderful opportunities.

Next, listen, and talk less.

Next, keep learning - and doing - new things, so as to gain expanded perspectives and new experiences. Evolving and enriching experiences = applied knowledge!

Next, develop a idea/insight generating mindset and a problem solving attitude, so that folks around you can turn to you for advice and help.

Nevertheless, here are a few good tips for enhancing your idea/insight generation or personal brainstorming:

• be acutely observant of your environment, by using all your senses;
  • be curious and inquisitive;
  • be open-minded to new and even radical possibilities;
  • suspend judgement;
  • make unlikely connections;
  • ask questions, all kinds, especially open-ended ones, like "what if?", "why not?", "So what?", "What now?", etc.
  • think like a child, but don't be childish, so to develop the beginner's mindset;
  • learn to see things backwards, inside out, and upside down; inside the box as well as outside the box, plus no box at all; also, learn to see from atop; see ahead; see beyond; see behind; see sideways; see beneath; see behind; see from within; and see through, so as to develop multi-directional and multi-developmental viewpoints;
  • hitchhike; copycat; piggyback; leapfrog on other peoples' ideas, as "Ideas Build on Ideas";
  • you can make use of the simple but proven SCAMPER technique [it dates back to the 1950's], as well as the more elaborate but proven CPSI methodology of the US-based Creative Education Foundation, to expand your idea generation;
  • for the more adventurous, you can also take a look at the Synectics group brainstorming process, which also dates back to the 1950's;

Next, go all out to share your knowledge, experience and acumen, as "Knowledge Shared is Power Squared".

Last but not least, be humble.

Always remember, intelligence building and amplification is always a work in progress!

By the way, you may want to explore further the following repertoire of soft skills:

To me, these are the most important skills you must learn and acquire in your life, as they will help you:

• stay relevant;
  • exploit opportunities;
  • maximise fulfillment;
  • increase intellectual horsepower;

1) It's the ability and capacity:

• to learn;
  • unlearn; and
  • relearn;

2) It's the ability and capacity to think:

• strategically;
  • systematically and systemically; and
  • critically as well as creatively;

3) It's the ability and capacity to:

• set goals and achieve goals;
  • work out and execute a game plan (in a nut shell, to get things done!);
  • stay focused on long-range goals and remain flexible on tactical execution;
  • massively follow-up and consistently follow-through the game plan;

4) It's the ability and capacity:

• to spot opportunities;
  • to assess opportunities;
  • to develop opportunities;
  • to pursue opportunities;

5) It's the ability and capacity:

• to find problems;
  • to solve problems;
  • to anticipate problems;

6) It's the ability and capacity;

• to stretch our imagination;

7) It's the ability and capacity:

• to continually sharpen our saw!

8) It's the ability and capacity:

• to cooperate;
  • to collaborate;
  • to synergise, with others;

I hold the view that, with such a concerted personal investment in self-education and skill building, you can think faster and better, even under heavy pressure!

[2016_Skills Repertoire for Life]

That is a good description.

Have you had psychological testing? Many aspects of intelligence are tested including memory, spatial relations, emotional blocks, etc. You might gain some insight.

Often mental blocks such anger, compartmentalizations, moral injunctions, being out of touch with emotions, lack of confidence, unwillingness to take risks, can impede thinking.

It’s like your mind can't “go there” because there is a ‘do not enter” sign. You cannot access all the information you are getting. Or it can be that you are not able to integrate information and form conclusions due to a lack of ex

That is a good description.

Have you had psychological testing? Many aspects of intelligence are tested including memory, spatial relations, emotional blocks, etc. You might gain some insight.

Often mental blocks such anger, compartmentalizations, moral injunctions, being out of touch with emotions, lack of confidence, unwillingness to take risks, can impede thinking.

It’s like your mind can't “go there” because there is a ‘do not enter” sign. You cannot access all the information you are getting. Or it can be that you are not able to integrate information and form conclusions due to a lack of experience or confidence. The fear of being wrong, being humiliated, made fun of can stop you from thinking or at least make it hard.

You are judging yourself as inadequate in some way. That judgement alone could cause trouble for your thinking ability. I will bet there are some things you understand others do not understand. You are measuring yourself against some yardstick.

Its best not to think in terms of black and white and assume there is a right and a wrong way to think. Some people (myself) are linear thinkers. I go from A to B to C and so on. I know people who are circular thinkers. The go from A to L to D to B. If everyone thought the same way and “"got it” in the same way, there would be no contrast in this world. It would all be gray.

I suggest you relax your scrutiny of your own brain and it's wrongness and instead do some Self research on what your mind does think and find the merit in it. You may be creative. You may be that 1 in a million who sees what nobody else sees.

The limbic system or paleomammalian brain, seat of our basic emotions and motivational circuitry and what Freud called the libido.

If one follows the evolution of the brain in higher organisms, it begins with the reptillian brain, which sits above the spinal cord and regulates basic functions like respiration and heartbeat.

Above that, one finds the paleomammalian brain, which is similar in all mammals, from mice to men. This is the area of the brain that learns from emotional experience, that means that a cat that sits on a hot stove won’t do so again.

Above and around that, one finds the neoc

The limbic system or paleomammalian brain, seat of our basic emotions and motivational circuitry and what Freud called the libido.

If one follows the evolution of the brain in higher organisms, it begins with the reptillian brain, which sits above the spinal cord and regulates basic functions like respiration and heartbeat.

Above that, one finds the paleomammalian brain, which is similar in all mammals, from mice to men. This is the area of the brain that learns from emotional experience, that means that a cat that sits on a hot stove won’t do so again.

Above and around that, one finds the neocortex, which fist evolved to process and interpret our sense impressions, identifying the class of objects known as stoves. It became the seat of our intellects, and it is what I am using to write and think about this, just as it is what you are using to read and think about it.

But our basic motivations are still determined by the limbic system, with its needs, pleasure, and pain. While the neocortex, which does our thinking and is the seat of our higher consciousness, likes to think that it’s in charge, it has only a limited ability to reprogram the paleomammalian brain — as anyone who has ever tried to stop smoking or lose weight knows.

The needs of the paleomammalian brain are so central to our survival that they ordinarily take precedence.

Consider a pattern of behavior. Typically, we receive a sensory input. That is analyzed and classified by the neocortex, which takes into account our prior experience with that class of objects and then develops a strategy to maximize pleasure and minimize pain — what Freud called the pleasure principle.

In short, it is finding a behavioral strategy to serve the needs of the motivational circuitry in the limbic system.

Behavioral strategies that have been known to produce negative emotional results, such as sitting on a hot stove, are suppressed, while those that have known to succeed, like avoiding the stove and curling up in a beam of sunlight instead, are reinforced and become our default behaviors.

That is the origin of repression, the phenomenon Freud first observed whereby the neocortex suppresses a behavior and makes it unconscious. Even trying to think about a repressed behavior makes us anxious — what Freud called the reaction formation.

This is where the neocortex begins to depart from rationality. It evolved as a tool for behavior, rather than objective analysis. It will therefore repress thoughts that cause pain to the organism, even if those thoughts are true. It will even create fantasies that mislead us, because they serve the limbic system by making us feel good. If we look in the mirror and decide that we don’t look our age, we are probably fooling ourselves because it makes us feel good, thus serving the imperatives of our motivational circuitry.

Man is a social animal, almost (though not quite) a eusocial species like bees and ants. Groups of people work cooperatively, like a single metaorganism. We have therefore evolved to internalize both the cognitions and emotions of the group, and of other members within the group. We are less individual than we think.

With the evolution of speech, humans have also taken culture, the learned behavior of a group of animals (not just humans) that is passed from one animal to another, to a high level of importance and development. We learn from one another, and are affected emotionally by the needs of the joint metaorganism. The process by which this affects our limbic system is called suggestion, and it is the mechanism that is used in hypnosis, as well as the enabling mechanism of art, which is itself a way of communicating the emotional/behavioral memes described above.

Because of this, we obtain beliefs from our parents and one another. Just as the desired behaviors in Section 2 can be irrational, so can belief. It is taken on faith, so to speak, and protected by the same defenses that protect behaviors based on experience.

Those are the main sources of human irrationality. Whether it’s believing that we are younger than we are, or believing that our society’s moral code is the one correct one, practical behavior takes precedence over objective analysis. To be objective, we must be more dedicated to the scientific truth than we are to our emotional needs. Few of us are able to do that; the so-called rational types, NT in the nomenclature of the Meyers-Briggs personality assessment, make up only 12–14% of the population. It seems to be in part a genetic characteristic, one that has gained importance as our society has become more knowledgeable and scientific. But even for NT’s, it involves work and a willingness to put the truth before what feels good.

One must challenge the very structure of one’s mind to achieve it, and few desire to do that, or even know that it is possible.

You are just different than others. Many can give explanations about chemical reactions of the brain when confronted with certain pressing situations. But you do not want to know all that. Because what you feel, others cannot understand. There are always reason why you are like that. Only you yourself know what it really is. Maybe it takes some time to figure it out, but you must pounder over it, the answer will come your way. And whenever you feel you have the answer, many of greater knowledge will mock at you. Just be still and breathe. DO not have any urge to tell anyone about what is going

You are just different than others. Many can give explanations about chemical reactions of the brain when confronted with certain pressing situations. But you do not want to know all that. Because what you feel, others cannot understand. There are always reason why you are like that. Only you yourself know what it really is. Maybe it takes some time to figure it out, but you must pounder over it, the answer will come your way. And whenever you feel you have the answer, many of greater knowledge will mock at you. Just be still and breathe. DO not have any urge to tell anyone about what is going on with you. You yourself will who is the best person to share your frightful experience from day to day. You need training in breathing. It does not get rid of the problem, but it helps gradually to become more understanding about the pressure you feel, and when you feel like your brain is really stopping to think, get yourself to safety by sitting somewhere and get yourself together. With breathing. Many groups of people are very slow in acting and reacting. Because of slower brain activity. People do try medication, but that is not really the problem. You are born with it and now you have to accept it and now adjust yourself to this life where a slow thinker can cause himself much embarrassment when amongst other people who you have to counteract with. Choose your job wisely, be careful where you walk, and where you go to in your free time. In any case, with this condition of yours, you are always in danger. Be careful always, listen to your heart.

Knowledge of the subject you need to think clearly about, and a bit of empathy for those causing the duress.

I spent a very enjoyable few years at Sun Microsystems working in a small team which only took severity/priority 1 calls from our VIP customers.

The key to working in this group was to know the computer operating system very well, so when the customers call in screaming in panic and swearing like a trooper, I could calmly explain what the best way is to solve their issues.

I recall conversations such as :

Me) So you’ve tried to SSH in, and you’ve tried the console, and your production app i

Knowledge of the subject you need to think clearly about, and a bit of empathy for those causing the duress.

I spent a very enjoyable few years at Sun Microsystems working in a small team which only took severity/priority 1 calls from our VIP customers.

The key to working in this group was to know the computer operating system very well, so when the customers call in screaming in panic and swearing like a trooper, I could calmly explain what the best way is to solve their issues.

I recall conversations such as :

Me) So you’ve tried to SSH in, and you’ve tried the console, and your production app is down. Then you need to crash the system

Angry customer) WTF! This is our main trading system. If it’s F up we lose $11m/hr. Can you guarantee you can fix it afterwards?

Me) No, because I don’t know yet why it’s hung

Angry customer) Then why the F would I deliberately crash it?

Me) Because I can almost certainly guarantee that it will stay hung if you don’t, AND the crashdump MIGHT even tell us why it hung.

Slightly calmer customer) OK

The primary differences are found in analytic rigor and intellectual will and discipline.

“Regular thinking” is stream of consciousness with no particular aim, goal, intent, purpose, or objective. Ordinary commonsense reasoning comes into play when that stream of consciousness acquires focus and perspective, and the one doing the thinking seeks truth, knowledge, understanding, or wisdom in order to establish values, set goals, make plans, and take actions.

The broader and deeper the truth, knowledge, and understanding needed to fulfill those values by achieving those goals using rational plans a

The primary differences are found in analytic rigor and intellectual will and discipline.

“Regular thinking” is stream of consciousness with no particular aim, goal, intent, purpose, or objective. Ordinary commonsense reasoning comes into play when that stream of consciousness acquires focus and perspective, and the one doing the thinking seeks truth, knowledge, understanding, or wisdom in order to establish values, set goals, make plans, and take actions.

The broader and deeper the truth, knowledge, and understanding needed to fulfill those values by achieving those goals using rational plans and effective humane actions, the more rigorous — i.e., logical — the thinking needs to be.

The difference isn’t a binary, on/off, in/out, black/white distinction. Emotions, ego, and many non-rational and irrational factors may come into play when the effort is made to think and act logically. The difference is in knowing those risks, being self-aware and self-disciplined enough to acknowledge and mitigate them, and following principles of logic and rationality in spite of them, so they do not disrupt or undermine logical and rational mental processes.

There are different types of thinking each employing a distinct, albeit related, facility. Clarity and logic in language may be the most widely used example. Reading a wide variety of quality fiction and non fiction will be of great assistance in finding improvement, however it is essential to understand the meaning of words if you are to understand fully. Never let a word go by without recovering its meaning.

Check out this book I recently read, called Magnetic Charisma by Patrick King. The book gives methods on how to perform under pressure by being charismatic. It's all backed with research and it is simple everyday things that just work.

Be patient, the more time you spend in these high-pressure situations TRYING to handle them, the trying will eventually become doing through the trial and error of small wins and lessons.

Both are nouns, but logic refers to a concept, and logical thinking refers to a method of thinking based on logic.

Unless you know how your mind scts you cannot master it. Just observe the way it acts without condemning snd justifying. Then it will be calm & thrm you can be its master.