How do you get people to understand something when no matter how you explain it, it just doesn't get through to them?

They may never understand it. Have you tried a relatable illustration? Use an example from their life, that they may be familiar with. Sometimes, this helps.

Perhaps you can indulge them in a real life example of what you’re trying to explain to them. An activity, a story, a game. Or, perhaps, what you’re trying to explain to them isn’t coherent in itself and needs modifying.

I am one of those people who remembers things and generally understands things quickly.

To some extent, I think that it is just an innate ability. I mean, I didn't do lots of puzzles or anything as a kid (I actually hate puzzles). I am good at math, I like physics, and I've been able to discern complex financial concepts enough to cross-apply them--all with no formal training in the subject.

I think that this is more than just an innate ability, though. I am genuinely interested in those topics. I remember 8th grade science lessons because I loved 8th grade science. I can pick up complex finance

I am one of those people who remembers things and generally understands things quickly.

To some extent, I think that it is just an innate ability. I mean, I didn't do lots of puzzles or anything as a kid (I actually hate puzzles). I am good at math, I like physics, and I've been able to discern complex financial concepts enough to cross-apply them--all with no formal training in the subject.

I think that this is more than just an innate ability, though. I am genuinely interested in those topics. I remember 8th grade science lessons because I loved 8th grade science. I can pick up complex finance because I am genuinely interested in those concepts.

And I think that is a key: you need to be genuinely interested in the topic at hand. That interest will keep your mind on the topic long after you have walked away. I stand in the shower and think about standard deviation and portfolio optimization. Why? Because I'm curious. I'm thinking about different ways to slice the same problems and so on.

All of that mulling leads to deeper thinking, and stronger memory connections. Then, when I encounter a more advanced concept, I can pick that up too because it is the next step in my knowledge.

Also helpful is my ability to relate arcane topics to real-world, more understandable concepts. For example, I learned what standard deviation was by relating it to a pilot landing an airplane. Just because a pilot has a perfect touchdown on average doesn't mean that the pilot is good. Maybe he misses every time, but equally before and after the runway! That is what standard deviation measures.

If you can somehow relate this knowledge or concept to something you know you can vastly improve your ability to understand it. That type of thinking takes practice, but can be easily implemented and learned over time.

There is a disadvantage to this type of ability, though. I find myself constantly feeling like I missed something, like there are holes in my knowledge which should have been filled. I also get frustrated if a concept isn't forthcoming. I'm not used to struggling with ideas, so I can get turned off. And, finally, this ability tends to lead to an overconfidence. If you feel like you understand something well, you most likely don't understand it well enough. The longer I have struggled with something the more I realize how much I misunderstood it in the beginning!

I don’t understand the question. It depends on a lot of factors. It depends upon situations and cultures. Some people can’t grasp concepts that others can. Others are too pig headed to try to see something differently. Some people learn something a certain way and can’t fathom another way. Others won’t admit that they are wrong and will stick to their guns out of spite.

Sadly, Christian people can be this way. They think “The bible says it, I beleive it, that settles it.” Well, you can’t argue with that, can you? Religion is why we have wars. But, religion is a great comfort for the wars it cre

I don’t understand the question. It depends on a lot of factors. It depends upon situations and cultures. Some people can’t grasp concepts that others can. Others are too pig headed to try to see something differently. Some people learn something a certain way and can’t fathom another way. Others won’t admit that they are wrong and will stick to their guns out of spite.

Sadly, Christian people can be this way. They think “The bible says it, I beleive it, that settles it.” Well, you can’t argue with that, can you? Religion is why we have wars. But, religion is a great comfort for the wars it creates.

Most of us have been raised to fear the devil’s drug marijuana because it can kill you, drive you insane and turn you into a murderer and drug addict. Well, some of us know that none of that is not true but, how do you argue with someone when that is what they were raised to believe is true? You can’t argue with what mommy taught them. I know a nice lady who is addicted to Oxycontin and sleeping pills. I told her to try marijuana to help her sleep and fight the addiction. Despite being addicted to drugs, she indignantly barked “NO. I DON’T DO DRUGS.” Can’t argue. It’s an herb, BTW.

I set up a TV studio for a show and had set the stage one morning for 20 guests. My assistant came in and I asked her to set up an additional 20 chairs in the audience. She said that she would take the 20 chairs from the stage and replace them because she would have to walk past the stage with chairs anyway, it would be easier. Despite it being more efficient I said “No. The stage chairs are already set, get them from back stage and carry them through.” She said it was a waste of time and would be more efficient to just do a swap. Well, what she didn’t know was that I already did camera angle checks, light checks and microphone checks for all the chairs and didn’t want to have to re-check everything if she moved them. In this instance, it wasn’t her place to know, just to do as I say. She thinks that *I* didn’t understand. ¿Comprende?

If you are sure not knowing why can’t you be honest asking them back.

Something is holding you back and this something is confidence in self with fear of the way other could react.

The confidence on the other side would speak out the mind irrespective of what other thinks yet the hesitation of stating has some value which we should not let it go wasted.

There could be another concern of speaking mind if that can create a misunderstanding possibly.

We should be sure of our intent to find a solution which would work in alignment of the need than mere logical approach to a solution.

It is our honesty

If you are sure not knowing why can’t you be honest asking them back.

Something is holding you back and this something is confidence in self with fear of the way other could react.

The confidence on the other side would speak out the mind irrespective of what other thinks yet the hesitation of stating has some value which we should not let it go wasted.

There could be another concern of speaking mind if that can create a misunderstanding possibly.

We should be sure of our intent to find a solution which would work in alignment of the need than mere logical approach to a solution.

It is our honesty in self which can make a difference and can counter another who could pose to be confident and speaks false word to prove with hollowness in the content which is discovered later on.

We could find more people with pride and arrogance nature and so could be afraid speaking in their presence.

We could remain silent if we understand this phenomenon and if that is so your mind could work in reasoning subsequently and draw a different conclusion on what was said.

We can make a note of this discussion and can keep making a diary which is for self nobody else.

If we keep adding with time infinite queries that was highlighted in our minds and would find that questions which on face value are quite different your solution written are pointing in some commonality.

If you find and have been working with honesty in self you already would be close in discovering secret within and making you ready to speak where it can add value and leave where it is not needed also avoiding ,mind to store them in memory.

You have learnt to store thoughts which value you and others and thus have created additional space in mind which shall make you confident allowing you to be extrovert selectively.

You could attract people who are ready mentally with vibrations you have created probably people with mind of opposite nature would like to disassociate not spoiling your company.

You have to think less what creates as problem but instead act which as an experiment would show the result enriching experience to guide selection of words or method or being away according to the situation.

Not really. I have an issue with defining words and explaining their meanings to other people. From the simplest words, like apple or car, to the most complicated, like eunoia or phantasmagoria, I cannot define them using other, smaller words for the most part. This gives the illusion that I don’t know their meaning, or that I have trouble reading, due to a lack of understanding the simplest of words. For me, it feels like every word is unique, because they are. They all have different connotations, and even denotations, and replacing them with words that pretty much mean the same thing does n

Not really. I have an issue with defining words and explaining their meanings to other people. From the simplest words, like apple or car, to the most complicated, like eunoia or phantasmagoria, I cannot define them using other, smaller words for the most part. This gives the illusion that I don’t know their meaning, or that I have trouble reading, due to a lack of understanding the simplest of words. For me, it feels like every word is unique, because they are. They all have different connotations, and even denotations, and replacing them with words that pretty much mean the same thing does not communicate the same idea. It causes me to him-haw around, searching for the perfect words to describe another.

While the “demonstrate knowledge by teaching” sentiment is a good one in theory, it cannot be applied to everyone or every subject. Would you consider me partially illiterate? I demonstrate command over the English language again and again in my writing, but for the life of me, I cannot define words for you. Relying on teaching others to gauge my understanding would indicate that I need extra help with vocabulary or writing, but that just isn’t the case. This “extra help” would harm me. With that in mind, use with caution— make sure there are other ways for someone to show what they know.

We don’t all seem to have the same mental capacities. There are many areas of intelligence and not all people are gifted in all of them. Some are arguably not gifted in any.

I don’t get mathematics above a certain level. I managed an O-Level in my teens but when I tried to go further I discovered my limits.

I can’t get the solution to the so-called Monty Haul problem. It looks like magical thinking to me. That’s a conclusion I also come to regarding the so-called ontological proof of the existence of God.

Some people don’t get the arguments I use, though they seem obvious to me. Some cannot maste

We don’t all seem to have the same mental capacities. There are many areas of intelligence and not all people are gifted in all of them. Some are arguably not gifted in any.

I don’t get mathematics above a certain level. I managed an O-Level in my teens but when I tried to go further I discovered my limits.

I can’t get the solution to the so-called Monty Haul problem. It looks like magical thinking to me. That’s a conclusion I also come to regarding the so-called ontological proof of the existence of God.

Some people don’t get the arguments I use, though they seem obvious to me. Some cannot master foreign languages. (Umm, me again.)

You have to find the subjects and approaches that make sense to you. And sometimes you just have to hope that the people who claim to understand the things you don’t are capable of making good their claim.

What is the best way to explain something to someone who doesn't understand what someone is saying?

First you have to determine if they want to understand. You may be making a valid point that the choose not to agree with, but will not tell you so.

Should they truly not understand, ask questions regarding the subject in order to get a better understanding of what they do understand. Make them simple as to not create more misunderstanding.

Now considering this question does not apply to anything specific, I need to ask you a question. In what regard is this question being presented because I do no

What is the best way to explain something to someone who doesn't understand what someone is saying?

First you have to determine if they want to understand. You may be making a valid point that the choose not to agree with, but will not tell you so.

Should they truly not understand, ask questions regarding the subject in order to get a better understanding of what they do understand. Make them simple as to not create more misunderstanding.

Now considering this question does not apply to anything specific, I need to ask you a question. In what regard is this question being presented because I do not fully understand it? Is this dealing with work or some personal matter? There would be different approaches depending on your answer.

You yourself answered your question when you wrote 'something they are not ready to understand'! We know little about the process of learning. However, experience suggests that for any learning to happen, a person has to be ripe enough, and be ready to learn that particular thing. If a person never becomes ripe enough, he/she may never be able to learn that lesson even in a life time. That's life, and we have to aceept it. Does it mean we stop voicing our truest opinions/concerns or stop giving our suggestions where necessary? No! We do our job as well as we can, and hope that some day we wi

You yourself answered your question when you wrote 'something they are not ready to understand'! We know little about the process of learning. However, experience suggests that for any learning to happen, a person has to be ripe enough, and be ready to learn that particular thing. If a person never becomes ripe enough, he/she may never be able to learn that lesson even in a life time. That's life, and we have to aceept it. Does it mean we stop voicing our truest opinions/concerns or stop giving our suggestions where necessary? No! We do our job as well as we can, and hope that some day we will be able to put it across but with the big truth at the back of our mind that if we are unlucky that day may never arrive.

Why do you even feel so, that you need to explain yourself to people?

Well according to me, you should be yourself! Just stick to your values, your ethics, and just do whatever you feel is correct ( except that it should not disappoint your parents).

The more you will try to explain yourself, the more you will invite trouble for you only!

You might have heard a very famous song by Kishore Kumar- kuch toh log kahege logo ka kaam hai kehna!

So, people will say something or the other, what is the point of explaining anything to them.

And the people who loves you, cares for you, close to you will defin

Why do you even feel so, that you need to explain yourself to people?

Well according to me, you should be yourself! Just stick to your values, your ethics, and just do whatever you feel is correct ( except that it should not disappoint your parents).

The more you will try to explain yourself, the more you will invite trouble for you only!

You might have heard a very famous song by Kishore Kumar- kuch toh log kahege logo ka kaam hai kehna!

So, people will say something or the other, what is the point of explaining anything to them.

And the people who loves you, cares for you, close to you will definitely understand to no matter what the situation may be. It may take some time but things will get more lucid.

Even if you want to express yourself then at least see first to whom are to explaining yourself. Do they really deserve to be explained?

So, Dont waste your time and energy in explaining yourself to others!

Some people will never understand you… For those SILENCE is the best answer!

For those who really cares… will understand your “ Taciturnity” too!!!

And for those who still don't understand anything…. WHO CARES!!!

;)

How do you know for sure? Maybe, you are projecting your own fears on to another…lol. It is easier to be clever than be kind.

Explain in a language or context they understand. This does require you to know about persons experience and background.

For e.g if I have to explain a chef what source code is, i would say its just like your cooking recipe which has instructions to perform a task.

Its easier to understand stuff that you have had experience with in some form. find that relation and you would see results.