Do narcissists keep a job?

My Nex couldn't keep a job. She was fired from most either from being high on Rx pills or not getting along with her bosses.

I maintain the only reason she still has her present job is because she and her boss exposed too much of themselves to each other about their respective drug addictions.

When she hoovered me this past January, she said she didn't think her boss would fire her because, as she stated, "I know where all her (the boss's) bodies are buried." She meant this in a figurative sense but her boss used illegal drugs and had confided in my Nex all of the details.

Despite the fact that s

My Nex couldn't keep a job. She was fired from most either from being high on Rx pills or not getting along with her bosses.

I maintain the only reason she still has her present job is because she and her boss exposed too much of themselves to each other about their respective drug addictions.

When she hoovered me this past January, she said she didn't think her boss would fire her because, as she stated, "I know where all her (the boss's) bodies are buried." She meant this in a figurative sense but her boss used illegal drugs and had confided in my Nex all of the details.

Despite the fact that she and her boss are on the outs and her boss says that as her boss she has to play the long game to fire Nex because Nex is a lawyer, I doubt Nex will get fired.

One of the reasons I left her was because of her Rx addiction which she lied about. When I was away at a conference, she was sent home from work three times in one week because she was high.

Pisses me off. But at least she's not in my life any longer.

I have seen that it depends on for whom they work. A former employee of mine had been with the company over 25 years and he actually did good work…just ask him. However, he was toxic and there are two reasons he stayed so long:

1. He transferred from team to team because no one would document his harassment of his co-workers. When he started with a new team, the process started over.
  2. Legal department. The company was afraid of a lawsuit and would not accept the risk.

With the help of a few co-workers who he had thrown under the bus previously, he was terminated on a technicality. We sent him packing

I have seen that it depends on for whom they work. A former employee of mine had been with the company over 25 years and he actually did good work…just ask him. However, he was toxic and there are two reasons he stayed so long:

1. He transferred from team to team because no one would document his harassment of his co-workers. When he started with a new team, the process started over.
  2. Legal department. The company was afraid of a lawsuit and would not accept the risk.

With the help of a few co-workers who he had thrown under the bus previously, he was terminated on a technicality. We sent him packing and of course, it was not his fault…

One more to go. The process is in the works.

They can if they're surrounded by high amounts of narcissistic supply. If people aren't feeding his/her ego they'll leave regardless of how great the job is. They won't leave for normal reasons like an unprofessional work environment, actually the narcissist is usually the culprit for toxic environments at work. They will leave for illogical reasons like not gaining the friends or status they want or not having control over the environment and everyone in it.

In my case my NPD never kept a job for long , usually 2–3 months. That’s how long it took for conflict to set in. Conflict with a co-worker or about how the business was being ran. She didn’t like being told what to do or taking orders. I think she liked seeking a job more than having one. As with other relationships she just enjoyed the “honeymoon” phase of a job. A good book that I recommend you read is “Mirror, Mirror, Off The Wall” (Amazon books). It will help you understand.

My Narcissist only wanted to work for himself, So he bought an 18 wheeler, now you are only getting paid from those that wish to have freight removed and relocated. Meaning, if people did not contact him through advertising , he could not make any money.

I used to question him, why don’t you drive for Fed Ex or some huge company? He vetoed that ideal and did not say why. I now know why, he cannot work for any company because he plays by his own rules and he would never have a boss dictate to him what he should or should not do.

Another thing about the rig, it has a bed inside and he is traveling

My Narcissist only wanted to work for himself, So he bought an 18 wheeler, now you are only getting paid from those that wish to have freight removed and relocated. Meaning, if people did not contact him through advertising , he could not make any money.

I used to question him, why don’t you drive for Fed Ex or some huge company? He vetoed that ideal and did not say why. I now know why, he cannot work for any company because he plays by his own rules and he would never have a boss dictate to him what he should or should not do.

Another thing about the rig, it has a bed inside and he is traveling to different states, how much supply is he picking up on the way? (females) Or supplies in every state just waiting on him?

He has cash flow, so he is not in a dire need for money. My guess would be option 3, using his rig as a hotel also..

Dia

Not my narc.. He hopped from job to job and would just leave without explanation and was content with that. I never understood lol. He’ll be like “everyone keeps in boxing me asking did I quit or am I coming back.” He liked to feel important , also he felt that they wouldn't find another worker like him, as if he was an over achiever the short time he worked there. For one he came late to work everyday and was upset if one day he just happen to be on time. Weirdo.

Essily. In their work they are the nicest person EVER! They'll do anything for everyone. Everyone will love them. Nobody in work will have the slightest clue what they are really like in an intimate relationship. It's just awful to see their act . They are brilliant actors , like chamaeleons.

Because they are amazing at their job. They are the best person in the place and should be promoted.

They’re not really but they’ll tell you and everyone else that.

My ex worked really long hours. I think he was trying to impress people and I know he was looking for praise from everyone there. Every small piece of praise he got he’d tell me about. As I’m typing this I’m thinking “maybe I should’ve responded more positively - well done, that’s amazing” but I think that would’ve fed his ego more.

Sure they can keep a job as long as s 'job' can afford to 'keep' them.

They do work but it does not seem like they can hold on to jobs for long periods of time because of all the trouble they create

No, I don't think they keep a job because they are always doing something sneaky, foul or manipulative.