Do highly intelligent people tend to overestimate others intelligence? For example, thinking others are as smart as they are?

It depends on what we are talking about but in general there are plenty of things we take for granted that don't come to the surface until they are brought there. Intelligence often rears its ugly head where you wouldn't expect it to. Where we can realistically expect a difference at least cognitively we are aware it’s there while emotionally our awareness may lag behind a bit in places. It is to be specified though that we won't necessarily ascribe the differences to a lower intelligence because there is very often simply no reason to tag them as such.

That's the gist, then which philosophy we

It depends on what we are talking about but in general there are plenty of things we take for granted that don't come to the surface until they are brought there. Intelligence often rears its ugly head where you wouldn't expect it to. Where we can realistically expect a difference at least cognitively we are aware it’s there while emotionally our awareness may lag behind a bit in places. It is to be specified though that we won't necessarily ascribe the differences to a lower intelligence because there is very often simply no reason to tag them as such.

That's the gist, then which philosophy we take up concerning the intelligence of others is entirely personal. For myself I tend to simply not judge a person's intelligence and although I may not actively consider them my equals at the same time I don't consider them not to be my equals either until they show ample and repeated reasons to formulate an opinion on the topic I keep my inferences circumscribed to a need to care basis. Basically I simply don't do it the same way I don't wonder whether they like pineapple pizza or not, if it becomes important for me to know or they go out of their way to let me know I’ll find out but otherwise it'll just remain a mystery I don't care to solve and even if I happen to see a photo of them eating pineapple pizza I’ll take that into account but I won't necessarily make a mountain out of a molehill and start thinking they like pineapple pizza, I’ll take at face value that they ate it and that's the extent of it.

Others do the opposite and ascribe every single tiny difference there is between them and others to intelligence usually because they anchor a large chunk of their identity around their intelligence.

So all in all the two are completely separate questions, the first one has implicit connotations that make it always true to a degree because highly intelligent people will always at one point or another ascribe understanding that isn't there in others, but that doesn't mean they are making an active judgment on their intelligence. In the world when we converse with others there isn't a clear and obvious intelligence requirement for each phrase we say to be understood, we just talk and sometimes we say something that people won't follow which implicitly counts as overestimating the intelligence of others but that doesn't imply we are thinking others are as smart as we are making the second point not logically follow the first but be personal in nature.

Speaking as one, (no humility here), I wait quite some time before I make any judgments. If a person talks as if uneducated, I make sure he isn’t pretending.

If he talks at a very educated level, I make sure he isn’t one of those people who aren’t that smart but have big vocabularies.

Unless he is in one of my areas, I can’t really judge a person’s intelligence. Some people talk a good game, but are just repeating what he heard. No judgement possible there.

I would never judge a person as smart as me without spending a great deal of time with him - maybe even years.

Do you get the idea that I am s

Speaking as one, (no humility here), I wait quite some time before I make any judgments. If a person talks as if uneducated, I make sure he isn’t pretending.

If he talks at a very educated level, I make sure he isn’t one of those people who aren’t that smart but have big vocabularies.

Unless he is in one of my areas, I can’t really judge a person’s intelligence. Some people talk a good game, but are just repeating what he heard. No judgement possible there.

I would never judge a person as smart as me without spending a great deal of time with him - maybe even years.

Do you get the idea that I am slow to judge? Good. You got it. First impressions may be lasting but often they are poor.

Many of my students were stunned when I told them that I don’t judge quickly. They assume that a psychologist analyzes people right away. Totally wrong. Backwards, even, compared to most people.

Highly intelligent people are statistically much more likely to be working with intellectual peers than not. They become accustomed to the people around them and accept that everyone they see is about average because they have a similar ability. What they fail to see is that they are working in an elite atmosphere in which the least intelligent person they know may have an IQ of 115 and he is well below the others.

When these elite workers encounter other people outside of work, they do not interact with them in ways that reveal the true differences in their IQs. They ultimately end up with a g

Highly intelligent people are statistically much more likely to be working with intellectual peers than not. They become accustomed to the people around them and accept that everyone they see is about average because they have a similar ability. What they fail to see is that they are working in an elite atmosphere in which the least intelligent person they know may have an IQ of 115 and he is well below the others.

When these elite workers encounter other people outside of work, they do not interact with them in ways that reveal the true differences in their IQs. They ultimately end up with a grossly distorted view of the huge spread in real world intelligence. They will, consequently overestimate the IQs of people whom they do not know as work colleagues.

Yes it happens a lot with smart people who have mainly been closely involved with other smart people. They do tend to forget how stupid the masses can be.

Let a smart person be a public school teacher for a while, interact with both the general public kids AND their parents… then, the smart person starts to realize how many people are actually relatively dumb. I mean, think about it: even if the “average” IQ is 100, how many people are below that. Even an IQ of just 120 is smarter than at least 90% of people.

I have gotten into big trouble for assuming and doing what is logical. I don't want to put a great amount of thought into petty things typically, yet it seems most everyone else wants to dwell on them. So I would say the answer to your question is yes. Plus there is always a communication barrier. Two people of different types of intellect will perceive something two completely different ways a lot of the time. There are many types of intellect rather it be visual, artistic, mathematical, etc. Every individual's brain operates differently.

Yes and No. It depends on the individual.

Sometimes I forget when talking to someone about something else, and bring up a topic way too deep or way too scientific for them to engage with, and then things get awkward. I tell a joke and we move on.

Generally, I am mindful of the information level I am using in certain company. And in general, I assume they are LESS knowledgeable, until proven otherwise.

I can’t answer this with complete authority. I am not that smart but I’d imagine no. Highly intelligent people probably see others, if they don’t exhibit qualities of high intelligence as untapped, undeveloped capacity. Not, er, dumb, but, I don’t think they think other people are as smart as they are, necessarily. Interesting question! GL!! Hope this helps!

I think anyone I meet might be very intelligent,

and treat them accordingly.

It seems right and respectful.

Other than that, I'll know your approximate IQ

pretty quickly.

You can dumb yourself down (no offense),

but can't really pretend to be smart in front of me.

Intelligence is a minor interest of mine.

I don't think so. People want to relate more than anything else. It's all about finding a level you are able to connect on and sometimes you might dumb down or sharpen your senses depending on the situation. I think being versatile proves intelligence.

it depends on if wether you have conversed with the person. it takes alot of consious effort not to project your own reality all while trying to understand someone's level of perception. so we naturally assume that people are smarter then us until we actually talk to them.

No , not generally speaking You can tell how intelligent someone is by their responses and questions, . Most conversations with MOST people are trivial ( how the family , nice weather , get that new job ) sorta stuff ..