Can you train yourself to be logical or is it something you’re born with?

Everyone thinks logically, as we see when reading detective novels. To know how to tell when a logical conclusion is true, probable, possible or impossible, however, one needs to study logic. I studied logic in college and post graduate school.

No one is born logical. It is only something learned. Nor can anyone achieve absolutely logical thinking. Nevertheless, logic can be fostered, or neglected, it’s your choice.

You can train yourself in anything. Some are more gifted than others, like in everything, but don’t let that stop you!

Absolutely. Pick up a book on symbolic logic and practice.

In my experience, if you don't find something interesting, you're not looking with the right pair of eyes. Anything can be interesting when you approach it with the right attitude and ask the right questions.

If it is a task, understand why that task is not only needing to be done, but how it's even possible to do that thing. Context is near-everything. Understand the big picture, but appreciate the details.

You mentioned programming. Look at this Quora page—the one you are viewing right now. It's black and white, with some grays and reds, but begin to imagine the process behind it. There are t

In my experience, if you don't find something interesting, you're not looking with the right pair of eyes. Anything can be interesting when you approach it with the right attitude and ask the right questions.

If it is a task, understand why that task is not only needing to be done, but how it's even possible to do that thing. Context is near-everything. Understand the big picture, but appreciate the details.

You mentioned programming. Look at this Quora page—the one you are viewing right now. It's black and white, with some grays and reds, but begin to imagine the process behind it. There are teams that have discussed, debated, and decided about where every element should sit, how it should look, and what they want the user to experience. Meetings and tough calls, white board sketches, and late-night "Aha!" moments all went into the technology that makes up a seemingly-simple page. Take a moment and be fascinated. It's allowed.

Approach everything with bigger and bigger questions until it becomes fascinating. Take a task that is normally boring and think of all of the processes that came together to make that task possible.

Do you have to get in the car to go grocery shopping? Don't even get me started! Think about the manufacturing processes that made the automobile possible, the extraordinary feats of civil engineering that developed paved roads and traffic light systems (that diligently work, even at 3AM!), then as you walk into the grocery store, be overcome with wonderment that is the grocery store: an extraordinary symphony comprised of complex melodies called agriculture, manufacturing, distribution, and human resources (not to mention the facility itself!).

I know it's a bit over the top, and it certainly takes work, but that's what this question is asking for.

I stay fascinated. Really. When I drive 45 minutes to work in Atlanta bumper-to-bumper traffic, I imagine what it must be like to devise a plan for an interstate CCTV system, or about the person who must project traffic trends to work out road-work schedules. I wonder about patterns in the license plate numbers, and how the ever-hated DMV offices actually interact with nearly every adult in my state.

Kind of neat, really!

Thinking with your heart is not always good for you. At times logical thinking can prevent you from making or repeating mistakes that may cost dear in future. It is assumed that people who think with their left brains are logical whereas those thinking with their right brains are more emotional and intuitive. Some people are born with high deductive ability which they cannot give up even if they try. Logical thinking can be a curse or boon; depending on the situation you are in. Logical thinking can blow off the mist created by emotions to show you the reality and factualness of the situation

Thinking with your heart is not always good for you. At times logical thinking can prevent you from making or repeating mistakes that may cost dear in future. It is assumed that people who think with their left brains are logical whereas those thinking with their right brains are more emotional and intuitive. Some people are born with high deductive ability which they cannot give up even if they try. Logical thinking can be a curse or boon; depending on the situation you are in. Logical thinking can blow off the mist created by emotions to show you the reality and factualness of the situation or people. When you become a logical person, you will be able to differentiate between truth and lies, solve your problems effectively and take right decisions which will benefit you and others. Often, the truth is staring back at us, but we tend to ignore it as we are blinded by our emotions. These are 6 easy ways that can help you think more logically, so that you will be able to look at the world more clearly with right reasoning.

1. Small details are important:

Sherlock Holmes said, ‘The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” The clue to logical thinking lies in being observant and noticing details. If you watch a person closely, you will be amazed to know how easy it to tell a lie from truth. Do not try to change facts so that they fit into your belief system, but build your beliefs on the facts. The trick of observation can be developed through practice and perseverance.

2. Work with puzzles:

Logical thinking is improved when you work on puzzles like Rubik’s cube, which demands deduction of results from all possible angels. The solution for puzzles is often described by the mnemonic SMART, which means the deductions should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bounded. Puzzles and games which involve rational thinking exercise the brain to work on logical thinking. With time thinking logically becomes a habit.

3. Hold on to your own beliefs:

Do not give in to arguments that show that all people believe in it, so it is true. There was a time when everybody believed that earth was flat and center of the universe, including all the major religions of the world. There is no need for you to accept something as true, just for the reason that you cannot prove it to be wrong. Hold on to your logical thinking and beliefs that come with it, no matter how much pressure others mount on you. Never underestimate the power of intuition and gut-feeling as illogical, as they can be quite reliable at times, especially when they are your own.

4. Build formidable defense against emotional blackmail:

Not many people like it when you think about them rationally; hence, they are bound to distract you with emotional blackmail or any other defense mechanism they are familiar with. If you are not strong with your own defense against such strategies, you will yield to the pressure sooner or later. Beware of your own defense mechanisms which may have developed over the period. When people try to vague, ask them to be specific and explain exactly what they mean.

5. Ask yourself questions:

When you are doing something irrational, stop and ask yourself the question why you are doing it? Look at the action and resulting consequences from all possible angles before moving ahead. Keep aside bias, patronizing and prejudices while making your decisions. Slow down, take deep breaths and be calm. You cannot be logical when you are stressed and running in hurry. Answer your questions honestly, racking your brain for right information.

6. Be prepared to handle the truth:

Many people stop being logical just because they are afraid to face the truth. Preparing yourself to handle the truth is the first step towards becoming a more logical person. Beware that truth can be quite painful at times; but there is no reason in living in a false world. Do not ignore facts, data, clues or cause that holds light to truth because you are afraid what it may reveal. Prepare yourself to handle the bitter truth.

修身齊家 治國平天下 - 大學

"improve upon yourself first, then manage your family, govern your state, is the only way to bring justice and virtue to the world". - Book of Rites

I thought it could implemented to understand everything.

• First, You have to understand yourself.

You have to start with one step. everything start from you.

The world is shaped by you, By your frame.

I think it is “Mirror” that reflect the world to you.

If you truly want to understand everything, you have to clear your thought , eye and mind.

Mirror must not distorted, colored or rusted.

Understanding must not distorted, colored or rusted.

E

修身齊家 治國平天下 - 大學

"improve upon yourself first, then manage your family, govern your state, is the only way to bring justice and virtue to the world". - Book of Rites

I thought it could implemented to understand everything.

• First, You have to understand yourself.

You have to start with one step. everything start from you.

The world is shaped by you, By your frame.

I think it is “Mirror” that reflect the world to you.

If you truly want to understand everything, you have to clear your thought , eye and mind.

Mirror must not distorted, colored or rusted.

Understanding must not distorted, colored or rusted.

Every day you have to shine and clean the Mirror.

If your Mirror is outdated, you have to break old one and make evolved Mirror.

That’s because World is change, Country is change, even you are change.

This is understanding Present of You.

• Second, Understand your family, friend and your community.

You are not alone, you cannot exist without your family.

Your Beginning and Genesis were from your parent. Your history began with them.

you have to understand root of you.

You are interact with neighbor, co-worker, and friend.

It shape, change, evolve the Mirror, affecting, effecting, each other. You are live with them.

It is understanding past and deepening and widening the present of you.

• Third, Understand history of your own country.

You are in the stream of history. Your life is result of the past.

If you want to understand what is going to happen in the future, look in the history carefully. There are little pieces of clue to understand country.

History is cause of present, present is cause of future.

• Fourth, Look the world, universe and everything.

In this part, you can understand.

what to understand, how to understand, why understand.

Understand History. Look, insight Mirror. Predict Future.

Understand Understanding.

I pumped acetylcholine when I was a teenager. It’s the closest thing to that drug in “Limitless”. I remember being able to pour information into my head and have instant access to it while I was taking it.

I remember being up for hours one night, and I needed to do the NY Times crossword before I could go to sleep. That was the only time I had a side effect. I may have taken a little more than I should have.

I also used to play brain games on my commute. I’d try to look at every face that my train would pass before it stopped. I would play math games in my head, like calculating speed/distances

I pumped acetylcholine when I was a teenager. It’s the closest thing to that drug in “Limitless”. I remember being able to pour information into my head and have instant access to it while I was taking it.

I remember being up for hours one night, and I needed to do the NY Times crossword before I could go to sleep. That was the only time I had a side effect. I may have taken a little more than I should have.

I also used to play brain games on my commute. I’d try to look at every face that my train would pass before it stopped. I would play math games in my head, like calculating speed/distances on the NY Subway.

I was probably born with a good mind, but I feel I made myself smarter through a number of different techniques. Once I was meditating and I actually achieved tabula rasa. It freaked me the fuck out! Never again. I ceased to exist and it scared me.

Nowadays, I find that I WISH I was less aware of my surroundings. I don’t want to see anymore news. I don’t need to know what the president did with his penis. I can live to 1000 without knowing this.

Did you ever wonder why not everyone in class understood the teacher? If everyone in the room spoke the same language then what could have been the problem? The problem occurs if the teacher thinks in a different language to his students. There are basically three modes of thinking and though we use all three each one of us has a preference. We predominantly think in either pictures, sounds or feelings. A person who thinks predominantly in pictures is a visual thinker, in sounds is an aural thinker and in feelings is a kinaesthetic thinker. Most teachers are either visual or aural thinkers

Did you ever wonder why not everyone in class understood the teacher? If everyone in the room spoke the same language then what could have been the problem? The problem occurs if the teacher thinks in a different language to his students. There are basically three modes of thinking and though we use all three each one of us has a preference. We predominantly think in either pictures, sounds or feelings. A person who thinks predominantly in pictures is a visual thinker, in sounds is an aural thinker and in feelings is a kinaesthetic thinker. Most teachers are either visual or aural thinkers so if an aural thinking teacher is explaining something to a visual thinking student a problem could arise.That is why it is important for a teacher to know how his students think and to phrase his explanations in the three styles of thinking language if he is to reach eveyone in his class. The question therefore seen in this context would make more sense if you asked how could I learn to also think in pictures and feelings so that I can become a more effective communicator? There is nothing wrong with thinking in sounds but it would make you more accessible to a wider audience if you could also speak the language of their minds too.

Thanks Zachary for a2a. Once you have finally decided to do things faster with better efficiency and accuracy, you are already 20% fast forwarded to that goal. Select your options from what ever methods you feel are feasible in your case. These methods mainly revolve around:

• On tap availability of updated data you need to work with;
  • Handiness of requisite formulae and calculation methods;
  • Start enjoying the injecting of efforts to counter fatigue;
  • Have an eye on time taken in certain known processing and improving;
  • Reading of related documents available on net and elsewhere;
  • Avoiding distractions;
  • Gi

Thanks Zachary for a2a. Once you have finally decided to do things faster with better efficiency and accuracy, you are already 20% fast forwarded to that goal. Select your options from what ever methods you feel are feasible in your case. These methods mainly revolve around:

• On tap availability of updated data you need to work with;
  • Handiness of requisite formulae and calculation methods;
  • Start enjoying the injecting of efforts to counter fatigue;
  • Have an eye on time taken in certain known processing and improving;
  • Reading of related documents available on net and elsewhere;
  • Avoiding distractions;
  • Giving yourself time off once a while;
  • Monitoring of statistical patterns of carried out works and subsequent comparison so as to see the improvement viz a viz the time passed.

The list is not ended; this can further be expanded.

Thanks for reading the above.

Well first if all , living logically and living compromised is different things. Most people starts living compromised and start calling it logical.

People choose to live logically because life is uncertain, living logically gives them time to think and react in better when such uncertainties occurs.

For example say there is a simple sprint (Not a race). 3 peoples decides to run it one by one. what they don’t know is that its going to changed into hurdle at the end.

1. First one runs fast and fast and tries to cover all the distance quickly, drains his all the energy and when the hurdles come, he st

Well first if all , living logically and living compromised is different things. Most people starts living compromised and start calling it logical.

People choose to live logically because life is uncertain, living logically gives them time to think and react in better when such uncertainties occurs.

For example say there is a simple sprint (Not a race). 3 peoples decides to run it one by one. what they don’t know is that its going to changed into hurdle at the end.

1. First one runs fast and fast and tries to cover all the distance quickly, drains his all the energy and when the hurdles come, he stumbles and fall cause he never anticipated.
  2. The second one, start slow but steady, keeps his momentum, and he ends up having enough energy to cross hurdles. he also anticipate hurdles cause he was not running at blind speed.
  3. The third one takes it as a burden, He puts his own logic and somehow finish it , but totally losing the spirit to run.

So

1. First one is like those who live unplanned or without any logic. They enjoy life but fails miserably when unplanned problems occurs.
  2. Second one is like those who live with plan and logic but they also keep up the spirit of life. so they pass in life as well as enjoy it.
  3. The third one is like those who live with compromises. They pass the life but completely losing the spirit.

Thanks for reading.

The question, as I would put it:

Does “He can do anything” entail “He can do everything”?

That is a nice question.

For the sake of a well-defined, concrete example, let us say that everything consists precisely of the following:

that one master Russian

master Georgian

master Arabic

master Hindi

master Chinese

master Navajo

In the context of the example, then, strictly speaking, as the expressions “anything” and “everything” are typically used, I would say this:

To say that he can do anything is to say that he can master any one of these languages, and perhaps more than one. To say that he can do everythi

The question, as I would put it:

Does “He can do anything” entail “He can do everything”?

That is a nice question.

For the sake of a well-defined, concrete example, let us say that everything consists precisely of the following:

that one master Russian

master Georgian

master Arabic

master Hindi

master Chinese

master Navajo

In the context of the example, then, strictly speaking, as the expressions “anything” and “everything” are typically used, I would say this:

To say that he can do anything is to say that he can master any one of these languages, and perhaps more than one. To say that he can do everything, in contrast, is to say that he can master all of them. Granted that he can master any one of them, however, and perhaps more than one, it does not follow that he can master all six. He might not have enough time, for example.

In other words, strictly speaking, “He can do anything” means “He can do A or B or C or D … as he chooses,” whereas “He can do everything” means “He can do A and B and C and D … if he so chooses.”

My answer, then, is no, “He can do anything” does not entail “He can do everything.”

And the moral of the story, I suppose, is this:

Do not use “everything” to mean “anything”!

I remember reading, long ago, though not 800 years ago, that a scholar set out to master all the languages necessary in order to peruse all the important original documents relevant to the history of the Mongol Empire, Middle Mongolian being just one of many, and far from the most important. He did that, and finished, as I recall, at the age of 53, whereupon he died suddenly before he was able to do the research.

And the moral of that, I suppose, is this:

The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft agley.

—Robert Burns, “To a Mouse” (1785)